Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIC Bonding Issue on BL460c G7 with Linux

Kent Wicker
Occasional Contributor

NIC Bonding Issue on BL460c G7 with Linux

Hello,

I am new to HP servers but now have a new chassis with several BL460c's and the virtual connect modules.

The issue is that the VC modules auto set the port speed, in this case 6000Mb/s, but the linux bonding driver loads with an error and sets the bond0 interface to 100Mb/s full duplex.  The error is the following:

bonding: bond0: Warning: failed to get speed and duplex from eth1, assumed to be 100Mb/sec and Full.

I assume the bonding module does not like the non-standard port speeds because if I set the port speed to 100, 1000, or 10000Mb/s the error does not show and the bond0 interface has the correct speed.

I am using the bonding module built in to Red hat 5.7.  Is there an HP modified module that should be used?  If not is there a way to get the bond0 interface to have the correct speed?

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: NIC Bonding Issue on BL460c G7 with Linux

There is an issue with the bonding driver not understanding the "custom" speeds. Please open a case with HP support, and have the case escalated.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! Accept or KudoI work for HPE
Casper42
Trusted Contributor

Or if you don't need the extra speed, go into the VC Profile and change the speed for the NICs to 1.0Gb/s
I'm sure RHEL will understand those speeds.

I vaguely remember RHEL being ok with 2.5Gb/s as well so if you have the time to test, try that as well.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Current versions of RHEL don't have an issue with any custom speeds you can set on a FLEX-NIC in VC. The bonding driver is coded to only recognise specific speeds. The speeds being 10, 100, 1000, 10000

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! Accept or KudoI work for HPE