108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIC Question for BL495c G6

SOLVED
Go to solution
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

NIC Question for BL495c G6

I have a blade which from what I understand, has 2 internal NIC's. This blade has 2 x Emulex card installed. but when you look at the insight display on the front panel on the c7000 enclosure it shows the blade has having 9 Nics? Does that panel show Fibre links as NICS. How do I get this blade to only show 2 NIC's. The customer has told me that he sees 9 NICS in the RBSU but I haven't seen that myself so I can't comment.

Thanks

Koopa 

28 REPLIES 28
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I very much doubt you can alter the appearance or name of things in the insight display. Wouldn't it be enough to look at the server in the OA and see what kind of mezzanine card(s) or what kind of nics/hbas it has?
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

The panel says it has 2 emulex fibre cards installed. Which I have no reason not to believe? on our site I need to wait weeks trying to get access to remove the blade from the chassis.

Anubhav_Jain
Occasional Advisor

OA will show 8 NICs, however NIC will get activated based on number of Enet Switches connected to it. It seems you have 2 switches, so only two NIC are visible inside blade

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

I have enclosed a pic of the RBSU off one of the blades showing all the NIC connections. Can anyone help explain this, is this something to do with it being a Flex NIC?

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Could those be the 8 external ports of the Flex-10 that are enabled.   I would expect all the ports on the Flex-10 to be enabled and ready for use. 

MBSNL
Advisor

What Interconnect I/O Modules do you have in the Chassis?
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

I don't undertsand VMware. Do I need the extra NICs that a Flex 10 NIC creates if i'm not using VMware?

we have 2 x Cisco 3020 switches in bays 1 & 2

and 4 x 8GB Brocade fibre switches

Thanks for the quick replies

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You could disable the Flex-10 ports you are not using.   I just purchased a HP C7000, two Flex-10 modules, A5820 switch.  I am planning on all 16 external ports being connected to the A5820 for maximum throughput from the 6 blades and two future blades.   You don't need VMWare to use the ports.    How many of the ports will be connected to your switches?  ICE should allow you to configure the ports without VMWare.

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

where would i disable the ports i'm not using?