Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIC Question for BL495c G6

SOLVED
Go to solution
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

NIC Question for BL495c G6

I have a blade which from what I understand, has 2 internal NIC's. This blade has 2 x Emulex card installed. but when you look at the insight display on the front panel on the c7000 enclosure it shows the blade has having 9 Nics? Does that panel show Fibre links as NICS. How do I get this blade to only show 2 NIC's. The customer has told me that he sees 9 NICS in the RBSU but I haven't seen that myself so I can't comment.

Thanks

Koopa 

28 REPLIES
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: NIC Question for BL495c G6

I very much doubt you can alter the appearance or name of things in the insight display. Wouldn't it be enough to look at the server in the OA and see what kind of mezzanine card(s) or what kind of nics/hbas it has?
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

The panel says it has 2 emulex fibre cards installed. Which I have no reason not to believe? on our site I need to wait weeks trying to get access to remove the blade from the chassis.

Anubhav_Jain
Occasional Advisor

OA will show 8 NICs, however NIC will get activated based on number of Enet Switches connected to it. It seems you have 2 switches, so only two NIC are visible inside blade

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

I have enclosed a pic of the RBSU off one of the blades showing all the NIC connections. Can anyone help explain this, is this something to do with it being a Flex NIC?

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Could those be the 8 external ports of the Flex-10 that are enabled.   I would expect all the ports on the Flex-10 to be enabled and ready for use. 

MBSNL
Advisor

What Interconnect I/O Modules do you have in the Chassis?
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

I don't undertsand VMware. Do I need the extra NICs that a Flex 10 NIC creates if i'm not using VMware?

we have 2 x Cisco 3020 switches in bays 1 & 2

and 4 x 8GB Brocade fibre switches

Thanks for the quick replies

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You could disable the Flex-10 ports you are not using.   I just purchased a HP C7000, two Flex-10 modules, A5820 switch.  I am planning on all 16 external ports being connected to the A5820 for maximum throughput from the 6 blades and two future blades.   You don't need VMWare to use the ports.    How many of the ports will be connected to your switches?  ICE should allow you to configure the ports without VMWare.

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

where would i disable the ports i'm not using?

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

In the configuration.  Shut command under interface. 

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

I'm sorry, do you mean i log on a cisco 3020 switch and select shut in there? or do you mean through the OA? or can you do in the RBSU for the blade?

Thanks

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

It would would be on the blade center configuration for the Flex-10 module itself.   If you have IRF configured, you would probably also need to disable those ports under IRF at the interface level. 

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

I appreciate you trying to help but .....

by the flex 10 module, do you mean the switch that should be in a interconnect bay, if so we have no modules installed in this rack, we only have 2 x cisco 3020 and 4 x 8gb brocade fibre switches.

what is IRF? Incase you didn't guess i'm a hardware engineer and don't get involved in the software side, but i'm trying to help out with my limited knowledge.

Thanks

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I am an electrical engineer, B.EE.   I designed hardware and built it.  How do you design hardware without knowing the software programming for it?   You are configuring switches and Flex-10 in a device, you need to understand the configuration of the hardware to get it to function properly.   I would suggest drawing up the configuration on paper and determine how you want it to work before configuring the hardware.  

You are configuring Flex-10 module.  What is it installed in?  What protocols are you using? 

How do you want the Flex-10 ports to interact with your switches?  This will determine the protocols and configuration. 

We went with VMWare on the C7000.  it adds a layer of complexity to the design but it adds features.  

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

Its not my job to configure this rack, I work for  a3rd party that just replace faield hardware. So the config is not something I get involved in.

As i've said, the blade has the built in flex 10 nic card, but we don't need the flex 10 adavantages. the customer literally just wants the NIC to act as a dual port NIC. So the question is where on the blade or on the OA how do tell the system to ignore the extra Flex 10 nics? When this rack does not have a VMwae switch installed?

Thanks

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I see now, you are stuck in the middle.   You will need to learn how to configure the switches. 

You have one flex-10.   The blade can use one internal port of the Flex-10.   You need to match the mezzanine module to the interconnect on the blade center that the Flex-10 is in.   Do you have room on the switch to connect more of the external ports of the Flex-10 to the switches?   Not sure why you would install a $11,000 Flex-10 and not use the 10 Gbps ports.  Seems like a waste of money when you can get a $3000 pass-through 1 Gbps module. 

I would just leave the other ports alone for now.   You don't want any advanced programming done.   You are not using IRF or NPIV.   If no cable is in the external port, it will act like its disconnected.   Just not formally shutdown. 

You would need to trunk the external ports of the Flex-10 together and then trunk the switch ports together to get 2 Gbps team.   Then apply teaming drivers on the OS and set them up.   My current HP ML 350 with Windows 2003 R2 x64 using switch assisted load balancing for teaming mode.   I would have to look at the manual for a trunk configuration without IRF installed.  

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for helping, but i don't have any flex 10 module interconnects.

we only have 2 x cisco 3020 switches installed, do these support flex 10?

and we have 4 x 8gb brocade switches

and the remaining 2 slots are blank.

MBSNL
Advisor

The amount of NIC adapters in the RBSU, is that really an issue?

I see 4 NIC adapters in my RBSU (IRQ Pane), while there are actually 2 NIC adapters in the server and the OS is also seeing 2 NIC adapters.

I don't have a BL490G6, so maybe you can't compare it.

But I have similair results, but I don't have a technical issue.

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Your jpg had Flex-10 modules.   How many blades do you have?   Do you blades have Flex-10 mezzanine modules installed?  Which Brocade switches do you have installed?   Do you have any 1 Gbps interconnect modules installed? 

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

I'm getting confused by the whole modules part?

I believe the BL495c G6 has a

Embedded NC532i Dual Port Flex-10 10GbE Multifunction Server Adapter

is this the module you refer too? as obviously this is built in to the blade and can't be moved?

There is currently no Flex 10 Module installed in the interconnect bays unless the Cisco 3020 switch is classed as one or a Brocade 8Gb SAN Switch also has this function

Thanks

Steve Goble
Advisor

Are these Emulex QUAD port cards? 

I think what you are seeing on the front panel is:

2 x NICs onboard

4 x NIC from QUAD card in MEZZ 2

2 x NIC from QUAD card in MEZZ 1 

1 x iLO management

_________

Steve Goble
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Do you have modules in the other mezzanine slots?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Didn't read all the submissions before but what I do can tell you instantly is the following:

G6 blades have 2 LOM's onboard, LAN on motherboard... These are 2 10Gb interfaces. Imprtant to know also is that the onboard NICs are always interconnected with the I/O modules 1 and 2 in the back (orange if I remember well).

In a half height blade, U can enter 2 mezannine cards. Mezannine card 1 is routed to the outside thru modules 3 and 4 (yellow), mezannine card 2 is going out thru modules 5, 6, 7 and 8 (blue and green). This is hardwired and so cannot be changed. Not even with Virtual Connect! Some misunderstandings there already...

Now, U will get 10Gb speed when U enter 10Gb modules like the HP Procurve switch or Virtual Connect Flex10/FlexFabric in modules 1 and 2.

I think that U mentioned that U have Cisco 3020 switches in module 1 and 2? This would mean that your 10Gb onboard NICs will be connected at 1Gb speed. So you loose speed there... Though it will work perfectly...

If you enter the HP Procurve 10Gb switch U will have 2 ports at 10Gb each...

Finally U will ask yourself: why do I see 8 NICs? Well, this is in cooperation with Virtual Connect Flex10 or FlexFabric. At that moment U can split up the 10Gb NIC in up to 4 FlexNICs where U can change the throughput gradually in increments of 100Mb... So U can have FlexNIC1 with 3,9Gb, FlexNIC2 with 4,2Gb, FlexNIC3 with 800Mb and FlexNIC4 with the rest... These FlexNICs are very popular in VMware environments so that U can easily split up the management trafic from the VM trafic, vMotion trafic etc...  

Hope this clarifies most things, otherwise let us know...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

cisco 3020 are 1 Gbps switches.  They would need to be in interconnect bays 1 and 2.   This would give you 1 Gbps on each switch for the blade.   You then need to map the ports for that blade.   The four Brocades would use 8 Gbps Emulex or equivalant modules in mezzaine 2 and 3 for the four connections to them.