5444 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIC can't be detected

marcj
Advisor

NIC can't be detected

Hi,

We have a BladeSystem C3000 enclosure with 3 blades, 2 power supplies, 4 active cool fans, 2 pass-through gigabit switch. Server blades are placed on bays 1,2,and 5. NICs on two blades (bays 1 and 5) are doing fine. The NIC on the third Blade (bay 2) is not detected. I try look at the port mapping in onboard administrator but the port mapping option of the blade is uncheck and disabled. Could anyone help how to fix this problem?

Thsnks
8 REPLIES 8
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

2 pass-through gigabit switch ??
In the C3000, ALL network connections go through bay 1.
Are you using just the onboard NICs or have added a network mezzanine?
Also, take into account that if you are using pass-trough module, the external connecions need to be 1 GB full-duplex. Anything else will not work.
marcj
Advisor

yes, We're using pass through gigabit switch on interconnect bays 1 and 2. We only use the onboard NICs, we don't have additional mezzanine cards. The external switch we use is a 1GB full duplex switch. The 2 blades located in bays 1 and 5 are doing fine. Both onboard NICs are ok. The problem is our third blade located at bay 2. Onboard NICs are not detected.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

You are facing 2 different problems here.
- Blade in bay 2 seems to have faulty NICs. Reboot, press F8 to enter RBSU and check if it shows the MACs of the network cards on the right pane.
- The ethernet pass-through module in bay 2 is connected to mezzanine 1, not to the onboard NICs. In the C3000 all integrated NICs go to interconnect bay 1.
marcj
Advisor

I tried to look at the settings of the NICS in RBSU, it shows the MAC addressess. But when i try to check the settings in Onboard administrator, under the Device bays-->Server Bay2-->Port Mapping, the embedded ethernet check box is disabled. What should I do to enable the ethernet in port mapping option?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

There's no need to enable devices manually, the OA shows you what it detects, and it's not detecting any NICs on that blade.
Try the blade on another bay and if the same happens, request a motherboard replacement.
marcj
Advisor

Have already tried transfering the blade server in different bay but the problem is still the same. I installed an operating system and the NICs are detected. But the problem is there's no connection evenif i have put network cables on the switch.
marcj
Advisor

I have only 4 cooling fans. Do four fans can handle the three blade servers?
marcj
Advisor

I just replace the systemboard. And now the NICs can be detected already. Thanks for the help.