HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem - General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Warranty/Support Documentation about Blade Server or Smart Array

Emily_10
Advisor

Need Warranty/Support Documentation about Blade Server or Smart Array

Hi,

Tech support told me that if one of the harddrives in the blade server failed, they need to get the serial number of the failed harddrive since each HD is treated separately and independently. On the other hand, Customer Service told me that they do not need the serial number of the HD but just the serial number of the Chasis or enclosure. Which one is right?Does anybody have a recent experience? Any documentation about this warranty information? Im confused.
2 REPLIES
lowster
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Warranty/Support Documentation about Blade Server or Smart Array

I would have to lean more towards Tech Support. Tech may need the HD #, And customer service may just need chasis #, so to anwser the question, they are both right.

Chris
Emily_10
Advisor

Re: Need Warranty/Support Documentation about Blade Server or Smart Array

Thanks! I got an answer from HP. FYI:

The correct information is that since Hot-Swappable hard drives are so easy to move from one server to another, a decision was made to entitle hard drives separately from the server starting in February of 2003.
The sales groups may or may not be aware of this change. Technical Support is the keeper of the warranty information, since that it the realm in which they work. The only issue at this point is that this group does not handle the MSA devices, so they may do things differently. However, Proliants are entitling Hot-Swap hard drives separately from the servers if manufactured after Feb 03.
When people call in for a hard drive replacement on a Blade, they will need 3 things beyond appropriate troubleshooting or failure indication;
1- The server serial number.
2- The Security Label number (sometimes referred to as the hard drive serial number although not really accurate)
3- The spare part number of the hard drive.