HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
BladeSystem - General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need our BL620's to listen in promiscous mode - is it possible?

whertzing56
Occasional Visitor

Need our BL620's to listen in promiscous mode - is it possible?

We ordered (among others) 3 BL620s for a C7000 chassis. We need to connect 2 NICS from each blade directly to a Gigamon span port, listening in promiscuous mode, so that these blades can function as network analyzers.

We can't find how to connect the NICS on the blade (or on a mezzanine card if we need to order one) directly to a switch port. The traffic on this port has all kinds of from/to IP addresses in the packets, and we want to get all the traffic to the blade.

In the past, we used physical servers, not blades, and just ran a Ethernet cable from the output of the switch or Gigamon span port directly to the physical NIC on the physical server. Is it possible to get ALL traffic through the enclosure to the NICs on teh Blade? Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

Re: Need our BL620's to listen in promiscous mode - is it possible?

A mezz card and a pass-through module would allow you to do this, you could plug a cable from the module to the switch and that would go directly to the server.  Here's a link ot the module:  http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/ethernet/pass-thru/

whertzing56
Occasional Visitor

Can you please go into a bit more detail? The PDF page that is referenced by the "1Gb Ethernet Pass-Thru Module" link you supplied, that PDF is dated 2008 and it does not discuss the 16 port pass through.

How is a port on the module assigned to a specific NIC (or mezzanine NIC) on a Blade? If I understand how this is configured, then I'll be a lot more comfortable. Our traffic has no specific IP address, and the NIC on the blade will not have an IP address assigned to the MAC address. That's becasue we need the NIC on the blade to listen for all traffic (from/to address pairs) on the physical wire. We want two NICS on each Blade (or mezzanine) to behave similar to network analyzer inputs. (we'll have one NIC on each balde as a normal network NIC, with an IP addresses, and use that for normal network communications)

So if I know how a physical interconnect port on the Pass-thru Module is assigned to a Blade's NIC, and I can see that at no point does the  configuration rely on IP addresses - then I'm comfortable. But if the configuration instructions refer to IP addresses - then I probably have to call our purchasing group to cancel the order for the blades.

if anybody could point me to a link for the instructions how to configure the 1Gb Ethernet Pass-Thru Module - I would sure appreciate it!

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

There is literally nothing configurable on a 1Gb Ethernet Pass-Thru module: each port gets a hardwired connection to the respective blade NIC.

MK
Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

They talk about that on the Overview tab:  the HP 1Gb Ethernet Pass-Thru Module delivers sixteen internal 1Gb downlinks and sixteen external 1Gb RJ-45 copper uplinks, providing a 1:1 non-switched, non-blocking path between the server and the network.

whertzing56
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your replies. I have to draw up a wiring diagram so we plug the right cable into the right port to get the traffic we want on the blade/nic we want. Each BL620 blade we purchased includes the "HP BLC NC325M NIC ADAPTER OPTION " , which is four NICs.

How do I know which physical port on the pass-thru module is hardwired to which Blade/NIC?  Is there a chart somewhere that diagrams the relationship of module/port to Blade/NIC? Or how?

Certainly appreciate your time with your replies! Hate to keep beating this horse, I just want to be sure we have ordered the right HW, and we know exactly how to cable it when it arrives.

Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

Bottom of page 17 (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00816246/c00816246.pdf) covers the connection to the interconnect. Your server bay number is the number on that interconnect. So if the server is in bay 11, it will be the 11th connection on that interconnect.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The OA can display which ports are associated with which blade. You can view the port list for each blade in the chassis LCD display (in which case the attention LEDs in the I/O modules will also indicate the ports associated with the selected blade).

Or if you view the OA web GUI, you can have it display the port mapping for each blade and it will display a diagram of the rear of the chassis, with the appropriate ports highlighted.

A full-height blade will have four integrated NICs as standard; a half-height blade will have two.

This is how it works out in a c7000 enclosure:

The integrated NICs will always map to I/O module slots 1 and 2 only.

For blade of any size in slot number N, it will be connected to port N on I/O modules 1 and 2. Since a full-height blade also occupies the slot number (N+8), the extra integrated NICs on full-height blades will likewise be connected to port (N+8) on I/O modules 1 and 2.

If you install optional extra NICs, they will always be mapped to I/O module slots 3-8, depending on which mezzanine slot you plug the NIC option card into.

In mezzanine slot 1, the option card will map to I/O module slots 3 and 4, in the same way as with the integrated NICs. (Note: this means you cannot use quad-port NICs in mezzanine 1 in half-height blades.)

In mezzanine slot 2, the mapping is different: for a quad-port NIC, each port is mapped to a separate I/O module in slots 5-8. This is to minimize single points of failure.

Full-height blades have a third mezzanine slot, which will also map to slots 5-8.

With your 3 full-height BL620s with extra quad-port NC325m option, you need a minimum of 4 I/O modules to get all the NIC ports useable. This assumes you can use I/O module slots 3 and 4 for the NIC I/O modules, and thus can plug the NC325m into mezzanine slot 1 of your blades.

An alternative configuration would be to put the NC325m to mezzanine slot 2 or 3, and have NIC I/O modules all I/O module slots except 3 and 4.

MK