BladeSystem - General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to create a heart beat between two BL460C Gen 9 blades in the same enclosure

ChrisS1
Occasional Visitor

Need to create a heart beat between two BL460C Gen 9 blades in the same enclosure

Need a little assistance here. We have a C7000 Enclosure with VC Flex10 and 8GB FC module. I have two 1/2 height BL460C Gen9 blades running W2K12R2 standard. I am using two internal ports (one on each blade) for the network on each blade, I believe that still leaves another port I can use for the heartbeat. In VC I configured two ethernet networks that would be be used for the heart beat and I added it to the profile for each blade. Then I configured a nic on each blade for a 192.168.x.x address, but it does not seem to be an active port. I feel like I am on the right track but missing a a step or something. Each blade server has a HP FlexFabric 10GB 2 port 536FLB adapter. I called HP but they only sent me the VC cookbook, which was not helpful for what I was trying to do. These blades will be running a SQL cluster. 

3 REPLIES
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Need to create a heart beat between two BL460C Gen 9 blades in the same enclosure

In VC create a new Ethernet network,Name it heatbeat and do not assign it any uplink ports.  Add the heartbeat network to both server profiles on the 2nd NIC port

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
ChrisS1
Occasional Visitor

Re: Need to create a heart beat between two BL460C Gen 9 blades in the same enclosure

Good that is what I did. I attached a screen shot of that. Then on each server one nic showed up as being connected, not having red disconnected symbol on it. I configured one nic on each server with a 192.168.x.x address, subnet and gateway, which I know is all we need for a hear beat. I guess it sounds like I did all the right stuff. Is there some way to verify its functioning or do I have to wait until the DB people set up the cluster for that? 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

depending on OS and firewall rules, you should be able to ping the other host

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!