BladeSystem - General
1752866 Members
4474 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New ESX install on C7000, not able to ping outside

New ESX install on C7000, not able to ping outside

Hi,
I have a new C7000 using virtual connect for Lan and FC. I have 4 bl460c, and one bl465c. I only have one subnet to use, and I gave all the iLOs their IPs, configured the Virtual Connects with MACs and WWNs, and successfully installed Windows 3K on the 465. I then installed ESX on two of the 460s, the install went well, I assigned unused IPs from the same subnet to the ESX hosts, but cannot ping anything outside from the ESX host, nor can I connect from the outside to the assigned IP, only can connect via ILO. Any ideas why? See attached.
9 REPLIES 9
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

No expert on ESX but isn't there a Firewall builtin? maybe you need to open for ICMP to Ping?
conradsjm
Occasional Advisor

How many nics did you assign in virtual connect to that esx server? And did you assign the correct network to those nics?

please send the output of 'esxcfg-nics -l' and 'esxcfg-vswitch -l'

It has two NICs in virtual connect and two via switches, so the command shows vmnics 0-3. I have attached another doc because I cannot capture the text except through a screen shot. The vswitch command shows one switch with the Service Console port used. I want the console and the vmnics to use the same subnet if possible.
conradsjm
Occasional Advisor

This looks correct, are you using vlans?
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Erik,
Are you saying that NICS 1 & 2 go via virtual connects (Interconnects 1 & 2), then you have two VC-SAN (interconnects 3 & 4) and then NICs 3 & 4 going via Cisco/Gbe2c or passthrus (interconnecst 5 & 6)?

Also... go look at the Virtual Connect Cookbook and identify which scenario you are wanting to use.
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01471917/c01471917.pdf

Yes, and I am looking at the cookbook now...
conradsjm
Occasional Advisor

If you are using vlans you need to specify the vlan tag for the portgroup since ESX will handle the processing of the tags.

You can do this with the esxcfg-vswitch command

esxcfg-vswitch -p 'portgroup' -v 'vlan-id' 'vswitch'

That may not be what it is exactly but the key is the -v switch

I have not configured any VLANS, the network switches are at a default configureation. I have patched the Virtual Connects in bays 1&2 with switches in bays 3&4, then there are links with our primary switch in each of the interconnect switches. These would be on a VLAN, but does that mean I have to identify it on the ESX hosts at this point?
conradsjm
Occasional Advisor

No you only need to identify the vlan's if you are using 802.1q trunks.

I would create four virtual switches, assign each of your nics to a single vswitch, create a service console on each vswitch with different ip's and see if you can connect through any of the nics.