1751698 Members
5618 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New To Blade

PepperMashay
Occasional Contributor

New To Blade

Hi There i will no doubt have a few questions to ask about my new blade system but firstly,

How can you change the Partner device to a different blade?

And am i right in saying that for every blade to access a storage blade they would need a mezzaine card?

Thanks

John
3 REPLIES 3
John Cagle
Frequent Advisor

Re: New To Blade

I assume you're talking about the SB40c storage blade, which you place in the bay next to a server blade.

The 'partner' relationships are fixed - for example, for half-height blades, here are the 'partners' bays:

1 and 2
3 and 4
5 and 6
7 and 8
9 and 10
11 and 12
13 and 14
15 and 16

The HP PCI Express Mezzanine pass-thru card is only needed with full-height server blades.
PepperMashay
Occasional Contributor

Hi Thanks for the reply, Ok that makes sense thankyou.

I have 6 Server blades 1 storage blade and a tape blade, and was told by a hp sales rep that in order for the servers to access the storage blade they would need the mezz cards so i purchased them.

So are you saying that unless i have full height blades i dont need them? and if so wh is it that the full height blades use them, what exactly do they do?

Thanks again

John
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

John,

as already mentioned, if you only have half height blades you do not need the PCI pass throuh mezz card.
What that pass-through card does for full height blades is kind of extending the
pci-e bus and allowing another device (other then a normal mezz card in mezz slot 3) to connect to that server blade.

Remember it is always a one-to-one relationship between the server blade and the partner blade (SB40C or Ultrium), there is no way to share such partner device between different blades at the same time.

HTH

Kris