108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No More than one Uplink per Vnet?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

No More than one Uplink per Vnet?

When I try to put more than one uplink in a Flex-10 Network, other Uplink(s) become standby! I want to have more than one uplink input to the same network at a SINGLE Flex-10 Module! How could it be possible? Is there any way?
20 REPLIES 20
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, this is by design.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

You must use LACP on next switch to aggregate more bandwith. so YES you can add more links to same network.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I vouch... and have done this. It is even in the cookbook.

Assuming you have 2 connections from 1 switch to 1 VC module, you would configure your switch with a port-channel / trunk / and configure it for LACP (Link Aggregation Control Protocol)

You would then do the same with your other module, 2 connections from 1 switch, configure for LACP.

The only way to get both sets of connections to be "active/active" would be to utilize them in separate Network Profiles that you configure in the VCM. If you create a Shared Uplink Set with both sets, 1 set will be active, the other set standby).

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

I want to receive the aggregated traffic from switch in ONE VCNet. then it would be impossible to receive the port-channeled traffic with a pair of uplinks of VC Module! Isn't it?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

If the pair of links are in a port channel and connected to the same VC module... yes.

You can not port channel links to different VC Modules... well, you probably can... but the bandwidth won't ever aggregate since one port will always be standby.

If you connect a pair of links to one VC Module and another pair of links to the other module (total of 4 links)...

...you will have aggregate bandwidth on either VC module, but not across all 4 links.. only 2 links. All 4 links CAN be in the same v-net! (but 2 links will be standby)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

I changed this settings:
Set VC ethernet settings to: MAC cache failover=5 and VLAN Tunneling. I also marked the vNet Smart Link Option.
@Switch Side: I enabled LLDP and LACP for interfaces and created a port-channel.

It worked! Both Uplinks are Linked/Active now!

But, If I try to connect two NICs of an external server to the uplinks, it fails! Is there any trick to do it without the need for a switch?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

You can't add two NICs to _same_ vNet. You must create same network with different name for another NIC.

NIC1 vnet_A LACP to switch A
NIC2 vnet_B LACP to switch B(or A)
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

What I exactly want is to include a couple of Uplinks into the same VCNet and on the other hand, to put the other end of the cords DIRECTLY to 10G Ethernet Ports of an external server (and not switch). It seems to be impossible to do this unless I try to separate the VCNets or Somehow enable LACP on external server! Unfortunately, the latter one is not possible since I turn off the OS access to the NICs and operate on my own direct card access mode.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Which actual VC/Flex-10 features are you trying to use that prevent you from simply using a 6120 switch module?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows