New Discussion юеВ

Re: No More than one Uplink per Vnet?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

The Reasons:
1. I need to have at least 5 ports and Prorcurve cannot handle FlexNIC partitioning!
2. I am using both LOMs and Mezzanine Ports. then for each mezzanine port do I need to obtain one or more extra procurve switch?
3. It seems that Flex-10 and Procurve are not stackable! are they?

Any comments?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

"What I exactly want is to include a couple of Uplinks into the same VCNet and on the other hand"

I have told how to do this

" to put the other end of the cords DIRECTLY to 10G Ethernet Ports of an external server (and not switch). "

This can not be done, VC needs active device eg. switch to be connected.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Connecting directly from external system to a Flex10 module (i.e. with no intevening switch) would require a cross-over cable if it was possible at all.

I had a situation where an external server was connected directly to a port on a 1/10G VC Ethernet module, however it was connected with a crossover cable (VC module is NOT a switch). And it was connected to a port which was NOT part of an uplink set.

I dont know if there is such a thing as a 10G crossover cable! (maybe that's a stupid statement??)

Dave

rick jones
Honored Contributor

Cross-over cables have not been required for "compliant" Ethernet since the days of 100BT. These days it is all sorted automagically.

As for mixing Flex-10 and 6120, yes, one can have Flex-10 and ProCurve 6120's in the same chassis. Things should still match in the horizontal direction.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"(VC module is NOT a switch)."

An unconfigured VC module will pass all traffic on it's internal facing ports to any connected external facing ports (and vice versa)... acting like a simple switch (a very simple switch), though there is no other functionality like on a reqular switch.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
rick jones
Honored Contributor

That would be "almost a hub" :)
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

I tried! But I cannot stack VC and Pass-thru!
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

and Procurve as well!
rick jones
Honored Contributor

"stack vc and pass thru" - what exactly do you mean by that?

Also, to have Flex-10 VC and other 10G Ethernet modules in the same chassis, where the "other" Ethernet modules are connected to Flex-10 capabable mezz cards you should be on the latest VC firmware - IIRC that is 3.10 right now. There was a bug in the older VC Flex-10 firmware where it would reach-out and touch all the Flex-10 capable 10 GbE NICs it saw, whether they were connected to a Flex-10 or not.
Nima Gh.
Regular Advisor

A New Case:

I want to share a 20Gbps traffic between a c3000 chassis and a c7000 chassis!
I need servers at both c3000 and c7000 to be in the same collision domain! Is it true to connect pair of uplinks (both @ same vnet) from c7000 to the pair of uplinks (both @ same vnet) @ c3000, to share this traffic??