7579 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Onboard Administrator - Blade information tab does not work

Sherida LeClair
Occasional Advisor

Onboard Administrator - Blade information tab does not work

Hi there,

We have a C7000 Blade enclosure with 15 blades installed. All 15 blades have, until as recently as 3 days ago, all reported their information on the information tab in the OA. Today, I can get the information for some... but not others. I know that this is not a really big deal, but I am afraid that it might be a symptom of a larger issue with the OA or the midplane ... and it really is a pain as we are not real close to our gear.

I have rebooted several of the blades that were not showing their info and I have reset the OA. No change.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.
16 REPLIES 16
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

What message are you seeing next to informational Icon? can you add screen shot of the message? Do you see anything suspicious in the OS syslog?
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

I have seen many strange issues like this fixed by reseating the OA tray. Not just the OAs, but the tray they sit in. This will require that the OAs are removed first, then the tray, then reseat everything. This can be done without disrupting the servers.

I've seen this fix so many strange issues that I now make it part of my install to reseat every OA tray during the install. They just seem to have an issue when in transit. Once reseated the issues don't come back.

I hope this helps with this issue.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Sherida LeClair
Occasional Advisor

Hi there,

THere are no errors. After I click on the tab, it just sits there trying to load. It never errors. It actually continued trying all night.
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

That still is an error condition. Please try reseating the OA tray, and let us know how you make out.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Sherida LeClair
Occasional Advisor

Will do. Will let you know.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

I'd certainly check the iLo revs on all the blades and the OA fw revision. Even if it was working ok, to report accurate info the OA needs to communicate with each blade via the iLo.

Assuming these are not Integrity (BL860c & BL870c), the iLo should be 1.61 or the current 1.70. The OA should be 2.31.

If you do need to update, update all the iLOs first. Or if its ok for the OA to reboot blades as needed. use the new BladeSystem Firmware Deployment Tool (FDT):
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1842750&swItem=MTX-a95ca55b3cc44183bfaff7a8fe&prodNameId=3288156&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

This tool will update all the blades in the enclosure.
Sherida LeClair
Occasional Advisor

Hey Teri,

Great thought but we are at 1.7 and 2.32.

Thanks!
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Then I would agree with reseating the OA modules & OA tray, all are hot-plug. If that doesn't fix the issue, generate a OA inventory report & email it to me. It will include the OA System Log. Cheers
terri.harris@hp.com
Sherida LeClair
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot. Will try that on the weekend and let you know.