BladeSystem - General
1748169 Members
4162 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

P-Class Blades not powering up without holding the power button (overide)

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

P-Class Blades not powering up without holding the power button (overide)

We have a number of BL25p's G1 & 2 and BL45p's G1 & 2 on site that we have an issue that if there powered off and then powered back on. Don't always turn on, sometimes the red fault LED comes on. We've found that holding the power button (which i believe is override) will then power on. I believe this to be a firmware issue, we are currently running management modules with 2.32 and the ILO firmware varies on each blade. If this is a known issue, could someone show me a link stating this is a known issue. I believe these blades show in the IML "Power rudandancy lost" or something to that effect. Any advice greatly apreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: P-Class Blades not powering up without holding the power button (overide)

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

Thats what I want to do, but on our site, they don't like us updating firmware unless we can prove it fixes an issue we have. Can you see anywhere where you have to hold the power button like I said to turn it on? I could do with someone hving the same problem and proved to fix it by upgrading the firmware
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

I can understand the situation as I have had the similar time.

I would put the technical explanation for this issue knowing the architecture. The iLO on each blade communicates with enclosure management to get the status like available power in this case. The enclosure management gets the power information from power management. The communication across these enities may not work because of either a h/w issue or s/w ( firmware in-compatibility ).

Actually, HP should have mentioned the iLO, enclosure management and power management firmware version qualification on their wesites which would avoid the communication issue on account of the firmware in-compatibility.

There is no reference I can find on HP websites which mentions the problem you are dealing with. I hope this helps.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Check the IML and iLO logs on the servers. You may have insufficient power, requiring you to hold the power button in to override.
Dhanesh Amirthalingam
Regular Advisor

hi kOOPA

Please let me know did you tried to power on the server by pressing the power on button ,such has this could be powering on As per the hp customer advisory kindly go through this

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=254521&prodTypeId=3709945&objectID=c01198373
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

David,

The IML does say something about "not redudannt power supplies" but we have 2 x 3 phase psu in each rack with all 6 power supplies installed. So this should be in a redudant configuration. We also have the load balancing wire installed.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Koopa, believe what it says. Log in to the iLO and visit the p-Class tab and you can observe the reported configuration.