BladeSystem - General
1752325 Members
5526 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power Managment Controller BL460c G1 and OA 2.60

Tedly Hadley

Power Managment Controller BL460c G1 and OA 2.60

I have a C-7000 enclosure with four BL460c G1 blades. We added two BL460c G6 blades. When HP installed them, he upgraded the OA firmware from 2.41 to 2.60. Also, he updated the iLO firmware from 1.70 to 1.79 on the G1 blades.

Now, all the G1 blades are giving an error for power management:
"The power management controller firmware on this blade must be upgraded. Please see customer advisory c01668472.

I've tried to run this advisory pack, but it says it's not supported. I also ran a ROMpaq update so the BIOS is 7/10/2009.

Also, I did remove it from the enclosure for 1 hr.
5 REPLIES 5
Ana M. Garc├нa Olivencia
Regular Advisor

Hi Tedly.

I had the same problem when I updated OA firmware to 2.51 (the BL460c G1 ILO2 version is 1.78 and BIOS I15 2009.05.12) and the message arose when the blade had NO power management controller version and when it had version 0.7.

According to the advisory c01668472, you must upgrade "Power Management Controller" version to 3.4B and the minimum version must be 0.6. If you have older versions than 0.6, it's not possible to upgrade (at least, one month ago) because you can't download versions older than 3.4B to make a two-phase upgrade (current version --> 0.6 --> v3.4B.

Perhaps, in your case, as you have upgraded OA firmware to a newer version than mine, the behavour is different.

In my case, in order to the message to disappear, I upgraded the blade with 0.7 version to 3.4B and the one with no version for Power Management Controller, HP changed the motherboard. The rest of the blades with version >=0.6 can be upgraded (although there is no alert message for them) and for the rest (version <0.6) there were no possibility to upgrade one month ago.

Which is the power management controller version for your blades?. You can see them executing, through the onboard administration page:

Enclosure information/Enclosure settings/Configuration Scripts/Clik here to view a script containing a list of the enclosure's current inventory.

Find in the output the field "Power Management Controller" at each blade information. According to this you'll have to proceed in a different way.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Ana
nasmel
Frequent Advisor

am also facing the same problem .can i upgrade the power controller firmware online ?
Ana M. Garc├нa Olivencia
Regular Advisor

Nasmel.

If you meet the conditions (current version 0.6 or later) you can install v3.4D (new version) and it's an online installation.

Ana
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hi folks to clarify 0.5 cannot be updated as the board will not be enhanced,in anyway

but you are not going to gain or loose anything by changing the / firmware, as these
firmwares only relay the data to the OA , so it can control the enclosure..lets just say in a differant language..

so you will never know the differance

and it is not a fault...that was the design those revisions of boards came out..

hope this clears things up

points appreciated :)

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

forgot to mention when firmware is updated in the enclosure

always in this order

sysboard
then ilo
then OA

now send reboot command to OA

to ensure it does a new device summary
here it looks for new firmwares and decides how best to use implement them

if you do not send the reboot command from cli, or just pull the oA out for 15 secs and reinsert it

it wll still show the firmwares but it will not be using them optimally.
upgrades to be done according to the matrix

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/matrix/compatibility.html

enjoy points appreciated