1752518 Members
5292 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power Mgmt Controller, Firmware Update problem

SOLVED
Go to solution

After upgrading OAfirmw to 2.51 I have 4 BL460G1(Bios 11/02/2008) with power managment controller version 3.3. I,ve booted the systems via "firmware deployment tool" BB150.2009_0213.1.iso and there is no difference. The 12 BL465(bios 11/06/2208)in the same enclosure have PMC version 0.5.
The "BladeSystem Matrix Compabilty chart" say's firmware bundle 1.51 if that could help me but I can't find it. and PMC version 3.4 cant' find that either.What to do ?
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

I'm not sure if PMC firmware 0.5 is upgradable in any way... HP says that "it doesn't need to be upgraded", but I'm afraid it's a polite way to say that it's going to stay like that... They say it's an ok version, though

Yes so it say's.It seems that all my older servers have 0.5 and most of the newer has different versions like 0.8, 3.3 so the solution will probably be to upgrade these to 3.4b when it comes(next week I heard)

Hey all,

We have 3 x C3000 and 4 x C7000 Blade Enclosures, and last week I upgraded them all to OA Firmware 2.51 and Virtual Connect Firmware 2.10.

In the Rack Firmware I see that one BL460c Blade Server shows 0.5 for the Power Management Controller Firmware, and all the others show 3.3.

All of the servers that list 3.3 then have a Question Mark (?) next to the firmware version and information that states they should be upgraded.

I contacted HP yesterday and they said they had not received any calls about this and did not have a solution. They would investigate and hopefully get back to me today.

I have the same issue
I heard from HP that it was problem with 3.4 and that 3.4b will available this week.
Jpuertas

Hi guys!

I have a C3000 with 5 blades (bl460c).

As most of you in this thread, I've upgraded to OA firmware 2.51.

Upgraded the firmware of the blades to latest version (I15 11/02/2008) and ILO to 1.77.

The thing is (and I've read this happened to some of you):

1 Blade has Power Management Controller version 3.3 (so far is ok)

4 Blades has Power Management Controller version 0.5 (which is the version with problems with the latest firmwares!)

Would anybody tell me HOW in the world can I upgrade PMC firmware to 3.3? Cause I don't recall having upgraded the first one to 3.3...

Can anybody send me the firmware file?

Cause neither the firmware CD (latest version)nor the online firmware upgrade tool will upgrade it.

HP doesn't give me help on this, and these are critical servers for me.

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Juan Manuel.

When you use "rack firmware" its says that
version 0.5 don't need upgrade and on servers with version 0.8 and 3.3 it say's that a newer version is available, however it was problem with version 3.4 so for that reason it was withdrawn. Version 3.4b should be out shortly.
Daniel Rintsch
Advisor

Today I also made some updates in our Bladecenter. First I updates all ILO to 1.77 and afterwards, I pdated the OnBoardAdministrator to 2.51. Now I get the same update messages as the other before.

Party I made updates at the firmware but I had no success. According to HP advisory, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01668472тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3355016&prodTypeId=12454 should the ILO update also update the Power Mgmt. but it doesn't work.

With the firmware CD to handle is too risky for use because I will not be able to explain ony unschedules downtime of our productive SAP system.

Does anybody has an idea, where to download?
c3_1
Advisor

Turn off Dynamic Power Capping!

The problem of degraded only happens when OA sees too much power being used.

If you leave capping enabled and have 3.3 (or 3.4?), you may find systems crashing/hanging or in my case bricking the blade when the cap is reached and OA is forced to reduce power to some resources. If that resource is a blade during firmware upgrade, you get a brick.