BladeSystem - General
1753593 Members
6531 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Power Outage - res in BL460 G6 FLEX-10 VMware 4 Servers to tx but not rx net traffic?

Max Fritzel
Occasional Advisor

Power Outage - res in BL460 G6 FLEX-10 VMware 4 Servers to tx but not rx net traffic?

Hello -

I have a situation at a remote office where they lost power yesterday for approx. three hours and when everything powered up the servers in the c3000 blade enclosure would transmit network packets but not receive?

I have had our network guy check the upstream network switch and it is all okay, and here is the interesting part...the entire enclosure is on the same VLAN # 5 including the OAB and Virtual Connect switches and they have connectivity just fine.  We have powered everything down again very carefully and pulled and out the blades and virtual connect switches so that we could get everything to power up nicely in order and still no success?

The servers are BL460 G6 running VMWare 4 update 2.  I can iLo into each server and from the IFCONFIG command I can see the vswitches are UP and as mentioned transmitting but not receiving.

Any thoughts on what else I can try I would greatly appreciate it.  I am also going to post this on the VMWare forurms.

Thanks

Max

3 REPLIES 3
Max Fritzel
Occasional Advisor

Re: Power Outage - res in BL460 G6 FLEX-10 VMware 4 Servers to tx but not rx net traffic?

Update:

I updated the OAB to 3.11 and the Virtual Connect to 3.10.

Please see the attached screenshots...and this symptom only began after yesterday's power outage.  The servers all worked before yesterday just fine.

In the first screen shot you see the NIC is connected with 1Gb as expected and then in the second screen shot the connection drops after vSphere 4 update 2 get to the network driver load phase, almost as if the network driver or stack on the ESX host has become corrupt?

Thanks

Max

Max Fritzel
Occasional Advisor

Re: Power Outage - res in BL460 G6 FLEX-10 VMware 4 Servers to tx but not rx net traffic?

Here is the second screen shot mentioned above.

Max

Max Fritzel
Occasional Advisor

Problem resolved with update of latest NIC driver to vmware-esx-drivers-net-bnx2x_400.1.48.107.v40.2-1.0.4.00001.181332.

Max