1751894 Members
5133 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Powering up a c7000 chassis

ScoFF
Occasional Visitor

Powering up a c7000 chassis

Don't ask me why but I have a c7000 chassis with two 4GB Brocade san switches, 10 fans, 6 power supplies sitting in my house.  No servers installed.

I'd like to power it up just to see if it works and possibly play with the OA gui.    Is this possible using a single 110v 15 amp wall outlet or am I going to blow something up?

Can I not just plug (I do have a plug) a single cable in one power supply to my wall outlet?   

5 REPLIES 5
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The older power supplies would run 110-120v or 220-230v. The newer supplies only work on 220-230v. If you have one that will run on 110v, then yes, you can power up on a single 15A circuit. It's not recommended, but I've had to run them like that with servers and switch modules at trade shows a time or two.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
ScoFF
Occasional Visitor

How can I tell if it can do either, is there a model # I can look up, a serial # identifier or label on a ps? Is it auto switch between 110v and 220v or do I have to physically switch something?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

They autoswitch. Pull one out and look at the label, it will show both voltage ranges, or just high line (220-240v)

ScoFF
Occasional Visitor

Ok thanks, it lists both so I'll try it tomorrow. We normally work with these blade switches every day but the server folks work with the chassis. Is there a simple health check the GUI will show for the system and devices in the bays (fibre modules, San switches) to show everything is functioning? I guess when t boots up it'll show that. Do I just turn it on or is there a special power up, power down procedure?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

No real sequence, just power it up. Get the IP address from the front panel, dhcp, or set a static address and conenct to it from a client browser. There should be a tag with the default OA password, if it has been changed, you will need to look at the users guide for the reset sequence