New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with OA firmware update, Exclamation mark symbol on blade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bing Yeo
Advisor

Problems with OA firmware update, Exclamation mark symbol on blade

Hi

I have 2 c7000 chassis where I had previously updated to OA firmware 3.10 a couple of months back. 1 chassis updated without any problems, but the other chassis, which holds 10 blades, displayed a lock symbol in the empty bays.
If I downgrade the firmware back to 3.00, the lock symbols disappear.

After firmware 3.11 and later 3.26 were released, I then tried updating to these firmware, but anything after 3.00 would cause the lock symbols to reappear. Does anyone know what causes this, and how to resolve it?

A 2nd problem I've been encountering is that an exclamation mark symbol appears on one of the blades, and its Status stated as 'Degraded'.

Under Diagnostic Information of the Bay, it says 'Device is reporting an internal degraded status'. In the iLO2 log for the bay, there isn't any useful information which might explain the degradation. Where can I find out more information about the degradation, and how do I resolve this?
18 REPLIES 18
Frans Koren
Occasional Advisor

Hi, have you also updated the Blade ROM and iLO ROM to the same level as comes with the Firmware Bundle update or Firmware Deployment tool?

Please verify the BladeSystem Matrix Compatibility http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/matrix/compatibility.html for which Blade and iLO ROMS are compatible with the OA Firmware.

Regards,
Frans
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

AFAIK the lock symbols can be from a Enclosure Power Limit. Check your OA settings: Power and Thermal -> Power Management -> Power Limit.
Bing Yeo
Advisor

Hi Frans

are you addressing the OA firmware problem? I have not updated the Blade ROM, but the thing is, I have 2 chassis with 10 blades each. All blades are on the same ROM; all blade iLO ROM are on the same 2.0 firmware.
But 1 chassis has no problems going up to 3.10, while the other will show the lock symbol at OA 3.10. I had updated the iLO, VC and OA firmwares to the latest versions at the point of time.

Michael:
I have checked the power limit settings for both chassis, and both have been set to no limit.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ilo must be upgraded to 2.01.
2.00 has been removed.

I recommend to upgarde blade with FW DVD 9.20.
The you are on latest release set 2010.10.

On the degraded servers.
Check the IML (Integrated management log)
That will tell you the hw failure.
I have attached an example.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Bing Yeo
Advisor

Hi Gregersenj

When the lock symbols appeared with OA 3.10, I think iLO 2.0 was the latest firmware at the point of time.
But I will try using the Smart Update 9.2 and see how it goes.

As for the degraded server, there was nothing in the IML logs as well. Last update was in 08/22/2010. I did a reboot of the server and the exclamation symbol was gone.
This is the 2nd time it has happened so I really need to know what's causing this, but I guess all's good for now.

Will update after I try Smart Update 9.2.

Cheers
Bing Yeo
Advisor

Ok, just realised I had looked at the IML at a different blade. My bad.

This entry has appeared twice in the IML of the degraded blade within the past month, the latest being 10 days ago:

Corrected Memory Error threshold exceeded (System Memory, Memory Module 7)

Looks like there is a memory error with one of the modules?
However after the reboot, the server state is no longer degraded.
Does this mean that the problem has resolved by itself or should we consider replacing the memory?
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

The yellow exclamationm mark is due to the predictive failure condition of the memory DIMM, i have the same situation on a BL460c G1.

When you replace the DIMM (before it becomes worst and your blade starts to crash) the yellow exclamation mark will be gone.

HTH

Kris
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

The memroy is most likely bad.

When you got these threshold exceed situations:

There's some sort of counter, and a threshold.
When a correctable error is happening. it will count.
When the number or errors meet the threshold.
You will get this error in the IML.
And the internal health LED will flash.

If you boot the server.
The counter is reset.

and it will start all over.

If you are on latest BIOS, and still got the problem. The DIMM is bad, and must be replaced.

Once you have replaced the DIMM. I recommend to mark the entries in the IML as repaird.
Don't clear the IML.
And I allways put in a maintenance note in the IML, telling I have replaced DIMM xx.
You can do that using the IML view under windows.
Or from the insight diagnostics.

Note:
Some of these correctable threshold exceeded errors has been solved in the BIOS, on some models. ei the BL460C (If I remember correctly.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Bing Yeo
Advisor

Update:

I downloaded Smart Update 9.2 (filename: FW920.2010_1021.49.iso) and ran it on the 10 blades, updating the iLO to 2.01 and server ROM to I15 04/26/2010 (as shown in the OA device info).

After this was done, I did an update of OA from 3.0 (existing firmware) to 3.10.
Unfortunately, the padlock icons returned after this update so it seems like the updating of iLO and server ROM hasn't helped.

Does anyone know of any other remedy, or cause of this issue?

Cheers