108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RESET SERVER command on OA??

SOLVED
Go to solution
The Brit
Honored Contributor

RESET SERVER command on OA??

I was at a presentation yesterday when one of the presenters threw out this "Reset Server " command as a way to COMPLETELY power off (and back on) a server blade from the OA CLI. He also guaranteed that this is absolutely equivalent to pulling and reseating a blade physically.

I am running OA Version 2.60 and looking in OA CLI User Guide 2.60, and I can find no reference to this command.

Any thoughts, comments or pointers anyone??

Dave.
8 REPLIES 8
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yep ..that it does. Although is NOT the same when pulling of the blade but almost. saved lots of walking for me =)

RESET command you can find from guide SERVER is one possible parameter.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
The Brit
Honored Contributor

My copy of the CLU User Guide does not mention a RESET command. I also SSH into the OA, went to help and for "Help Reset" I got "Invalid Command".

As I mentioned, my OA's are at 2.6 and my User Guide is version 2.6.

Where exactly can I find the documentation?? I just cant bring myself to use a command when I dont fully understand what it might do.

Dave.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Went and checked again, still nothing.

Are you using the "Hitchhikers Guide ..."
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

IIRC, this power cycles this slot, so it is like pulling the blade, more or less.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
The Brit
Honored Contributor

But where is the documentation ??

Dave
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

not sure what documentation you are looking for about this particular command.
What it does is using the so called e-fuse feature (electronic fuse) and when executed against a blade, it cuts DC power, so the end result is the same as physically removing the blade out and in of the chassis which is sometimes needed for certain f/w upgrades that only become active after the "houskeeping voltage" is removed. This works on both Proliant and Integrity blades
and it is even a feature that the OA uses when the blade requests it from the OA for certain firmware upgrades (although i only know of two such conditions one on x86 and one on IA64, so it is rare).

There is not much more to know about i guess, it helps you a bunch on top of what iLO can do when remote or in general for remote sites and saves walking up/down the stairs at times :-)

RESET SERVER { }: Reset the server bay by momentarily removing all
power. If a double dense blade is present, a single side cannot be reset. Only
the entire server bay can be reset.

HTH

Kris
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi Kris,

I got the same response through a side-bar with an HP collegue, i.e.

RESET SERVER { }: Reset the server bay by momentarily removing all power. If a double dense blade is present, a single side cannot be reset. Only the entire server bay can be reset.

As I understand it, this is the reponse you get if you just type "RESET" after logging in to the OA CLI (and I am prepared to take your word for it).

I don't have any issues with the fact that the command exists, or for that matter, that it does what it says it does.

I know that the command has been around for a while because I recall it being recommended in this very forum, as a solution for various and sundry issues with blades. I didn't previously question the command because I just assumed that it would be listed in the help topics if ever I got around to reading it.

Well I finally got around to it, and much to my surprise I discovered that it is not listed in the help topics. Neither in the HP Onboard Administrator CLI User Guide Version 2.6, or in the online help in OA version 2.6.

Given that it has been around for a while, I am curious why it has not made it into either the online help, or the OA CLI documentation. It kinda suggests that it is "unsupported", which for us paranoid types means "potentially dangerous".

It would be nice to get it into the docs.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.

Dave.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

See above.