1751956 Members
4851 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Random shutdown of a BL460c G1 blade server

dkenn
Occasional Advisor

Random shutdown of a BL460c G1 blade server

This past weekend I had a blade server randomly shut down for apparently no reason. I have a c7000 enclosure running firmware 2.01 on the OA board and firmware 1.35 on the blade iLOs.

I could not power on the blade server via iLO either, even though I have done this before in the past. Only after removing the physical blade and reinserting it into the enclosure and pressing the power button did this blade server turn back on.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I have checked all SIM, iLO, and Windows Server 2003 logs and there is no indication of fault anywhere.

We only have two servers in the 16-blade enclosure so far with 7 more coming soon. I'd like to get this resolved if/when this happens again!

Thanks,

DK
11 REPLIES 11
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

dkenn
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I will try updating the firware. Do you think this may provide more logging with regard to the original problem of the random shutdown? Or will this help prevent another random shutdown as well as the problem of not being able to power on via iLO?
Eduardo Leiva

I have two BL460c with the same problem. The OA's firmware is the 2.25 and the ILO2 firmware is up to date. I've tried to update all drivers to the last version, but it has not solved the problem
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Have you updated the BIOS as well?
Eduardo Leiva

Yes, to the last version. Now I have 6 of 16 BL460c in the same c7000 chasis with the same trouble. All them, with Windows 2003 and VMWare Server 1.0.4
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

check for the big connector behind server blade. Are there any dents or other signs of violence? Does it do the same in other server bays ?

Also reseat memory modules,mezz cards, Smart array cache ...

also disable ASR.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Eduardo Leiva

The power supplies has been revised and there isn├В┬┤t any violence signs.

We've detected that the servers affected has the HP Storage Works for EVA and de HP Ultrium LTO 3 drivers installed. We are triying change these drivers. This Blade System has an EVA 4440 and a VLS connected. HP will send me a new driver to test it.
bobobear

Hi all, I am experincing the same problem with 3 of my servers, all bl460c g1, how or was there a fix for this?