BladeSystem - General
1753666 Members
6327 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rapid Deployment - *MUST* Be on Same Subnet as Host?

Adam Drake
Occasional Contributor

Rapid Deployment - *MUST* Be on Same Subnet as Host?

I am using Rapid Deployment to deploy out for my blades.

My blades are my citrix farm, they are on a different vlan then my other server vlan, where my RDP manager is.

I need to deploy some images on to my new Citrix Farm, however, it looks like RDP requires to be on the same subnet. Is this the case?
6 REPLIES 6
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Not really..

you can have different subnets,however you need to set up the packet forwarding..
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Packet Forwarding:
either u need to make the settings in the network switch to route to all subnets or you need to have a server with Windows that has connected all different subnets.
then the altiris aclinet has the option to set this packet forwarding
Adam Drake
Occasional Contributor

IP Helper has been configured, what specific settings do I need to change in altiris, and what specific settings do I need to set up in my scope (for the particular subnet that my blades are in)
Adam Drake
Occasional Contributor

Alright - I have moved the server over to the different vlan - reconfigured and followed the documentation to change the IP - reinstalled the PXE manager and PXE server - recreated the boot files - and now I receive this error -

PXE-E53 no boot file name recieved.

Really need help with this.
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

You may get this if the pxe.ini is corrupted.
do you have any file under RDP directory.

on the PXE server is a PXE.INI file under c:\program files\altiris\express\deployment server\pxe\pxe.ini
The ini corrupted, change it to old or delete it. It rebuilds itself.
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Error 53 occurs when the client did get a DHCP address, but failed to get a response from a PXE server. A few things could cause this:

1) PXE server is on a different network segment from the PXE client and no DHCP Proxy or helper address is installed (on the router).

2) PXE Serer service has stopped (apperently not in your case).

3) Your PXE server and DHCP server are on the same server and your DHCP scope option does not include the option 60 that it needs for this configuration. Re-add option 60 to the scope with the value of "PXEClient". If option 60 is not available to add, re-install the PXE service by running PXE.EXE from the RDP CD.

4) No Boofiles were created during setup. Open BootDisk creator and check that you have atleast 2 bootfiles (a managed and an Initial). In 1.4 they are called defpxemg and defpxenc, respectively. In 1.3, the images were created, but did not appear in boot disk creator. Re-create them to be sure.

See the "Implementing RDP and PXE" paper here:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/management/rdp/plan-guide.pdf