1752805 Members
5668 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re-configuring power cabling to two enclosures

Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Re-configuring power cabling to two enclosures

I recently discovered that whoever cabled up the enclosures I'm now managing did so incorrectly.

Using two UPS's, rather than one UPS providing power to one "side" of power, and the other UPS providing the other side of power, they've ended up with 5 feeds from one UPS to one enclosure, 5 feeds from the other UPS to the other enclosure with the one remaining feed from each UPS going to the opposite enclosure.

So, if one UPS goes down, it takes out 5 inputs from one enclosure - nice!

I'd like to re-cable them live but want to double-check what I can get away with as far as how many PSUs in a single enclosure can I disconnect simultaneously. Ideally I don't want to disconnect more than one at a time but I may need to just to unravel cabling etc.

Power config in both enclosures is "AC Redundant". One enclosure is fully populated with BL460s, the other half populated.

With 6 PSUs installed, does that theoretically mean that I can pull out up to 3 PSUs at a time in a single enclosure(realistically I won't chance more than two anyway) or is that limited to one half of the enclosure?

Hopefully my question makes sense!

Regards,

Paul
2 REPLIES 2
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Re: Re-configuring power cabling to two enclosures

You can see from OA web page how many W You are currently using. One PSU is 2250W so calculate from that.

AC reduntant means that you can lose up to three PSU without any loss of power.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Re: Re-configuring power cabling to two enclosures

With 6 PSUs installed, does that theoretically mean that I can pull out up to 3 PSUs at a time in a single enclosure(realistically I won't chance more than two anyway) or is that limited to one half of the enclosure?

Yes you can pullout upto 3 PSU at same time.
your servers won't go down.
Make sure you have enough power go to Enclosure Power Allocation page in OA you should be able to see allocated Power.