1751907 Members
5191 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Reset Blade Server iLo to defaults

sdf2sjk
Occasional Advisor

Reset Blade Server iLo to defaults

Is there a way to force a reset of a blade servers iLo to factory defaults?  For whatever reason I have had issues with the 465g7's.  Every time I change them to static then change the IP, I have to reboot before I can gain access from the OA.  On this one, I changed the IP and thought I added the user but it's not working.  Can't get to the server at all.  Would like to force a reset to factory defaults from the OA using putty if possible. 

21 REPLIES 21
siukalo
Advisor

Re: Reset Blade Server iLo to defaults

Hi

You can only reset the ilo in the BIOS screen using the F8 key. The once in the menu select to reset to defaults. DIP switches on the MB does not do it.

Alan

Best Regards

Alan
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

A reboot of the server will have no effect on iLO settings or status.

To answer your question, iLO can be reset to factory defaults by sending the following RIBCL commands using the hponcfg command in the OA.

<RIBCL VERSION="2.0">
  <LOGIN USER_LOGIN="adminname" PASSWORD="password">
    <RIB_INFO MODE="write">
 <FACTORY_DEFAULTS/>
    </RIB_INFO>
  </LOGIN>
</RIBCL>

When using "hponcfg" the <LOGIN USER_LOGIN="adminname" PASSWORD="password"> line is required but a valid username/password is not needed. This line needs valid credentials when remotely accessing iLO using "cpqlocfg.exe" or "locfg.pl"

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
sdf2sjk
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I will try that.

Gerardo_Arceri
Advisor

Alternatively, if you have an OS installed and the hponcfg utility, using "hponcfg -r" should produce the same result.

Kumdist
Valued Contributor

you can also use the EBIPA on the OA to set the ip adress. It should reflect after a few minutes.

Re-siting the blades will help too.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Kumdist wrote:

you can also use the EBIPA on the OA to set the ip adress. It should reflect after a few minutes.

Re-siting the blades will help too.

EBIPA will let you set the IP address, but the original posting question is how to reset iLO to defaults, EBIPA can't do that

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
vipink430
Occasional Advisor

How do i do this without switch on the server,

On server power led is down and indication screen showing the error Management Processor failed in blade bay 1

Casper42
Respected Contributor

So if you cannot run the HPONCFG command from the OA SSH/CLI, then you first need to reset the iLO to DHCP so EBIPA can set the address.

SSH to the OA and login with the same credentials you use on the web login.
CONNECT SERVER X

Where X is the Blade's slot number.
That will get you into the iLO Smash CLP string.

Then run this next command to turn DHCP mode back on.
set /map1/dhcpendpt1 EnabledState=yes

Give the iLO 90-120 seconds to reboot.

Then run the XML based Reset Command that Jimmy provided.
X on the next line is again the Bay Number of the blade.

HPONCFG X << end_marker
<RIBCL VERSION="2.0">
<LOGIN USER_LOGIN="adminname" PASSWORD="password">
<RIB_INFO MODE="write">
<FACTORY_DEFAULTS/>
</RIB_INFO>
</LOGIN>
</RIBCL>
end_marker

That should then reset the iLO to Factory Defaults and cause it to reboot again.

JavierdP
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I have found this thread and would like to share my situation to see what you would suggest

We have moved a blade server from datacenter A (5000 KM away) to datacenter B

After plugging it and powering it on, I have gone to Enclosure bay ip settings and tried to set a correct ip address for it's ILO, belonging to ip range used for Datacenter B.

However, even though ILO is reset after applying the changes, it seems to ignore that options and ILO ip address remains the same (from Datacenter A addressing)

I have also tried logging on with SSH to the onboard administrator to perform the suggested reset, but this is what I get

chassis-OA> connect server 4

Secure Shell (SSH) Access is disabled on the iLO. The feature requires
that the iLO SSH feature is enabled.

Can anyone help me with this? We are facing this situation with 8 BL-460G7 servers in three different C7000 chassis.

Thanks