1752591 Members
2644 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reset Blade Server iLo to defaults

sdf2sjk
Occasional Advisor

Do you have a static IP configured on the server iLO side of are you just assigning the IP under IP Addressing on the chassis side?  It sounds like the ilo is setup with a static IP.  If you are changing networks, I would set the iLOs to DHCP or set to factory default before you move them or after you move then but the first time you power up in computer room B.  If you have SNMP and other things configured, I would just set to DHCP, let it get an address, then set the static IP via IP Addressing.  Reset would cause you to have to reconfigure SNMP etc..... 

Device Bay iLO Processor Address Range:  The form below provides static IP address assignment to the device bays in the enclosure. If there is an IP address in the Current Address column, the device (iLO) has previously been configured or has received a DHCP address.

Note:  All of the selected iLO Processors will be reset if the protocol is enabled. If each iLO has been previously given a static IP address, these EBIPA settings will not change the static IP address. If the iLO IP address has been configured via an external DHCP service, the EBIPA settings will override the existing DHCP address.

JavierdP
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Blades are already 5000KM away from their original location but i can answer to your questions:

Blades had an static IP address assigned using the form you refer to. I have no problem with resetting them back to factory default settings as long as i can recover them, but haven't found a way to fully reset a specific blade server's ILO to factory settings.

How can that full ILO factory reset be done when it has an unreachable ip address and OA's ssh can't connect to it?

Thanks!

sdf2sjk
Occasional Advisor

Running Windows or Linux?

JavierdP
Occasional Advisor

ESXi, also with an unreachable IP Address, ILO console is also unreachable because of this. (I would have used hponcfg for esxi if i had access to it, or ILO console to try to change the ILO IP myself) :(

We were recycling them for another project and our intention is to reinstall them 100%.

sdf2sjk
Occasional Advisor

You don't have anyone there (Computer Room B) that can hook a crash cart and reset the iLO to factory defaults?

JavierdP
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Is that possible with a blade server? We don't have remote hands there but perhaps we can arrange someone to travel there, but i'd prefer fixing it remotely, to be honest.

Thanks

sdf2sjk
Occasional Advisor

Yes you can, the chassis comes with a dongle that will hook to the blades.  If you can't communicate to the iLO at all, I don't know that you will be able to do anything.  I have never had a need since I have physical access.  Maybe someone else will have some input.

JavierdP
Occasional Advisor

I've asked someone to try to find these dongles. In the meantime, let's see if anyone else comes up with an idea that would allow remote reset.

Thank you so much

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@JavierdP wrote:

Hi

Blades are already 5000KM away from their original location but i can answer to your questions:

Blades had an static IP address assigned using the form you refer to. I have no problem with resetting them back to factory default settings as long as i can recover them, but haven't found a way to fully reset a specific blade server's ILO to factory settings.

How can that full ILO factory reset be done when it has an unreachable ip address and OA's ssh can't connect to it?

Thanks!

Will the host OS still boot? if so can you login to the host remotely?  If you can accomplish this, then you can load hponcfg on the host and reset iLO from the host OS

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Server-Support
Super Advisor

would this also cause any data loss in the Operating System or potential downtime to the running server in production ?

Best regards,