1751691 Members
4972 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sharing uplinks for VLANs and passthrough

Calvin Staples
Frequent Advisor

Sharing uplinks for VLANs and passthrough

I would like to be able to set up VLAN pass through for VMware and network VLANs for Windows servers on the same uplinks. I have VC FW 1.31 but do not see how to do this. Please advise how if the feature is available now. I thought it was part of 1.31...

Thx Cal Staples
3 REPLIES 3
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Check the lan settings in VC manager, there You can set per network the setting to pass-trough the VLAN information.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Calvin Staples
Frequent Advisor

It looks like I still need to have separate up-links. I must still be missing something.

I see options under "Ethernet Settings"|"Advanced Settings" to either "Tunnel VLAN Tags" or "Map VLAN Tags".

I also see the option to "Enable VLAN Tunneling" on the individual "Ethernet Networks". It looks like if I enabled that option than every server I use that network on would receive all VLANs - not what I want.

I have a mixture of regular servers and ESX servers in the enclosure. I don't want to send all VLANs to the regular servers, only to the ESX servers.

Maybe I just don't understand the options and how they work. If anyone can explain how this all works I would be elated!

Thnx again - Cal Staples
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Should there be a setting for "private network" ?
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi