108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Shutting Down BL460C & BL480C

SOLVED
Go to solution
BDK Intern
Occasional Contributor

Shutting Down BL460C & BL480C

Has anyone had the trouble of when trying to shut down a C class server it boots down and then boots right back up again? Whenever I try to shut down one of the servers through Windows, it's like it is just getting restarted. The only way to get it to shut down completely is to shut down Windows, then quickly log into iLO and virtually power it down.

Is there a setting in the BIOS that can be changed to fix this or anything else?

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

BDK,

This was known with 100 series of servers.
refer:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&objectID=c00614442

will update if there is an article for Blade c class.

Cheers!
Oliver Brandt
Occasional Contributor

hi,

i had the same problem.
Since last ilo2-update (v 1.35), bl460c firmwareupdate to l15 and the oa-update to v 2.02 i did not see the error again.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you go into the iLO management console for the server you can click the "Power Management" tab and then under "Power Configuration Settings" select:

Automatically Power On Server: No

Good luck! :)
Aks2
Valued Contributor

Hi

Have you tried updating the PSP to the latest version 7.9?

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27534.html

cheers
Akarsh S
Ian McGann
Advisor

I am having this exact problem with 2 of my BL460c's. I had upgraded them to PSP 7.9, but they were taking over 5 minutes to shut down and even longer to reboot. I then rolled back to PSP 7.8 and that's when I noticed the rebooting problem..

Have there been any updates on this?

Thanks,
Ian
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Before Upgrading to PSP 7.9 make sure ALL Firmwares are the latest.
Ian McGann
Advisor

I've gone back and forth between 7.8 and 7.9. If the servers are on 7.8, then they take between 4 - 7 minutes to shutdown or restart. If they're on 7.9, they restart when they should be shutting down. Servers are:
W2K3E w/SP2 - all the latest patches installed.

The enclosure/OA/etc is all the latest firmware, as the enclosure was just recently installed by HP.

I tried changing the 'dynamic power' setting on the enclosure, but no change in behavior. If I can't get this resolved before the upcoming holiday, I'll be calling HP Support next week...

Has anybody seen this behavior?
Jasiel
Occasional Advisor

Hello all,

We had a case like that a couple of months ago, looks like the problem is a conflict between PSP and MS Windows with SP2, the issue was resolved by upgrading the firmware, what is the current revision on that?

Regards,

Jasiel
Jasiel
Occasional Advisor

Sorry,

Made a mistake in the last message, upgrading the "BIOS" (the firmware its a good idea as well tough).

Regards,

Jasiel