108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Shutting Down BL460C & BL480C

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian McGann
Advisor

All the firmware is off of the latest maintenance cd (7.90). This seems to be related to SP2, the reboot time on a server with SP1 is just over two minutes. I've found the following MS article which may fix the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936594.

Ian
Jasiel
Occasional Advisor

You are right Ian, that is exactly what I was mentioning in my last reply.

We've seen this issue in the past.

Regards,

Jasiel
Ian McGann
Advisor

Well, the only problem is now I've ruled out SP2. This has been a back and forth issue, but the behavior is once again changing between PSP 7.8 and 7.9. With 7.8, the server reboots in good time, but when I tell Windows to shut down, it reboots. With 7.9 installed, it goes back to the slow reboots again. I've tried rolling back to v2.8.22.0 of the NIC driver, per a suggestion from a local HP tech, but it didn't fix it. I'm going to be calling HP support to get a ticket entered in....
Jasiel
Occasional Advisor

If you want to play around with the NIC drivers, I can recommend you to do it in the following order:

- Go to uninstall Network Configuration Utility (From Network Connections)
- Uninstall all the NIC drivers (manually)
- Manually install the NIC drivers
- Manually install the latest Network Configuration Utility

PSP 7.8 and 7.9 had some issues regarding network drivers and utilities.

Regards,

Jasiel
Ian McGann
Advisor

Thanks for the tips, Jasiel. Have you seen these types of issues before? I'm going to be calling HP and go through it with them, because I'm really beginning to tire of this problem...
jmiller_2

is anyone having the problem where you can't power the blade back on after its turned off?
Jack00
Advisor

Hello Ian, Yes I have. Thats actually part of the troubleshooting that I will do, were you able to work with the manually installation of everything or did you get to work with HP Support?

Regards,

Jasiel
Ian McGann
Advisor

I haven't contacted the Support Center yet. I've been working with a local HP tech who has been in touch with someone in Engineering at HP. They suggested doing a clean install using Smart Start v7.9. This takes care of the problem of it not shutting down, however once I install Windows 2003 SP2, that causes the problem of taking 7 minutes to reboot or shutdown.

Microsoft introduced some new TCP/IP features in SP2, which have apparently caused some problems (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936594). I've tried these fixes and they haven't resolved the problem. The next step is to contact HP, so they can figure out why the NIC drivers for the BL460c's are having problems with SP2.

I have 150+ other ProLiant servers (DL380, 580's, BL20p, 45p's) that have no issues with SP2.

With the EOL coming up for P Class, causing them to not be available any more, I really need to have the C Class working properly...
John Niemeyer

We have bl460c's and have been trying to upgrade from 7.80 psps to the 7.90 or 7.91 and the nics disappear. Firmware or Bios has no effect. We will be leaving our systems at 7.80 until HP comes out with something newer and we will try again.