5180 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Strange VC & Teamin Issue

Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

Strange VC & Teamin Issue

All -

Scenario is that I have a c7000 enclosure, 4 x BL680 G5's, 2 VC 10Gbe enet modules in bays 1 & 2, flex-10 enet modules in bays 5 & 6.

I've created two internal networks called heartbeatA & heartbeatB, both without any physical ports associated.

I've assigned heartbeatA to LOM3 (3rd on-board NIC) and heartbeatB to LOM4 (4th on-board NIC). In the OS (Win2003R2), i've teamed both LOM3 & LOM4.

My problem is that I can only ping the other teamed interfaces on the 680's when heartbeatB is the active one of the team, nothing works when heartbeatA is the active path. This problem is also repeated when I have other teams associated to other NICS using physical ports; only the 'even' bay side seems to be active/working.

I've got around a dozen enslocures & i've not seem this problem before. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Julian.
3 REPLIES 3
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Re: Strange VC & Teamin Issue

You might want to check flex-10 lates firmwares and release notes.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

Hi -

Thanks for the quick response.

Firmware levels for the all elements of the enclosure are at current levels.

Thanks,
Julian.
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

Ok, I think I now understand the problem.

If I choose a Network fault tolerant team, one of the pair of nics in the team has to be stand-by. This means it is completely inactive. If I have a server in Bay 1 with LOM3 & LOM4 as a team, with LOM3 as the active nic, and a server in Bay 2 with LOM3 & LOM4 as a team, with LOM4 as the active nic, they will not be able to communicate; both have to be using the same 'side'.

Switch assisted load balancing seems to negate this issue, however that option is not available with Flex-10 NICs, so I have to ensure my preference orders are correct.

Regards,
Julian.