4626 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Strange behaviour HP-VirtualConnect Flex-10 modules

JorisK
Regular Advisor

Strange behaviour HP-VirtualConnect Flex-10 modules

Hi,

We have one c7000 enclosure with four HP VC Flex-10 modules loaded into bay 1,2,5 and 6. We have four BL460c G-1 blades with Flex-10 NICs loaded into Mezz slot 2.

- I have created two Virtual Networks in VC, one connected to LOM:1, the other to LOM:2
- I have created a serverprofile with both networks attached to the blade.

When starting up VMWare ESX4i, i can see four NICs, which is correct. Two of them are Broadcom onboard gigabit NICs and the other two are the Flex-10 cards. The problem: They show up unconnected! (like there is no switchlink)

Anyone here that knows what's going on?

Regards,
Joris Kemperman
4 REPLIES 4
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

If you only have 2 connections in your server profile than it will be normal for your FlexNICs to show up disconnected.

Do you have Smartlink turned on for the two Virtual Networks you created and if so, does the uplink port have link? IF it doesn't, Smartlink will disable the downlink ports.

maybe you can take a screenshot of your server profile and attach it here.
JorisK
Regular Advisor

I found out what was wrong, i just misunderstood the way Flex cards work i guess.

I enabled both onboard nics, i made two virtual networks and they show connected at 1Gbps which is fine.
The 3rd, 4th and 5th connect to the Flex NIC in Mezz slot2, they show connected aswell.

Once i create virtual networks for my blade, VC seems to create 4 NICs per Flex-10 module. When only using one of those virtual NICs for my Blade, only one shows Connected and the other three disconnected.

I guess this behaviour is normal?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Read and learn =)

HP Flex-10 technology
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01608922/c01608922.pdf
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

BL460c G1 blades do not have Flex-10 NICs on board. So the first 2 NICs in interconnect 1 & 2 will be seen as single NICs.

What is the mezzanine card for the other NICs? If its NC3xxx then its not Flex-10 either.