108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: USB port on OA

SOLVED
Go to solution
The Brit
Honored Contributor

USB port on OA

According to the copy of OA User Guide that I have, (April 08), the USB port on the back of the OA module is "not currently supported" (Page 18).

Is this still true? In particular, is it supported for attachment of an "enclosure-wide" DVD/CD drive?

The second "in particular" is; Is this supported on OpenVMS??

Dave
5 REPLIES 5
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Dave,

If you are running the OA version 2.20 or later.

Is this still true? NO
In particular, is it supported for attachment of an "enclosure-wide" DVD/CD drive?
Yes. it is Supported.

The second "in particular" is; Is this supported on OpenVMS??
I have not tried it. Think it should work fine.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

I am running version 2.25 on my OA's.

Is there any particular DVD Make/Type or Model that I should look for, and is there anything I need to know about setting it up?

I noticed that assignment of the DVD to specific device bays can be done through the Insight Screen. I also noted that there is a link for "DVD Drive" under enclosure settings, although it seems that there must be a drive attached before this link works.

Dave.
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

You NEED to know:
The c3000 DVD drive is built in and the c7000 DVD drive is connected externally using a USB connector.
For the c3000, the Multibay II DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive with part number PA850A can be used without a cradle.
For the c7000, the USB DVD is used with a cradle. The cradle must be purchased and connected before using the drive. The Multibay II Cradle part number is PA509A, and the DVD/CD-RW Combo drive for use with the cradle is part number PA850A.

Yes you need to Connect the DVD drive with Media in it. Otherwise the Device bays or DVD drive page doesn't give option to connect to the server.

Most of the External DVD's work fine. I used a LG DVD drive it worked Fine.

The Brit
Honored Contributor

Final Question (I hope, (and just for this thread))

I am looking to use this drive for installing the OS on my blades, so can the DVD be used as a "boot" device??

thanks in advance (and for your help so far)

Dave
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor
Solution

I am looking to use this drive for installing the OS on my blades, so can the DVD be used as a "boot" device??

Yes. you can use it for installing the OS on Blades. Normally i used 5 or 6 blades at a time and it works fine.