New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unsupported Processor installed - BL20p G4

SOLVED
Go to solution
Oliver Wehrli
Valued Contributor

Unsupported Processor installed - BL20p G4

Hi everyone

I received a BL20p G4 server today from a other team (hasn't been used for some time). When I started it up it showed the error message "unsupported processor installed".
It wasn't the first time I've seen this message so I downloaded the newest BIOS version from hp.com, created a bootable diskette and updated the ROM with the newest firmware.
Problem now: the message persists.
In ILO (which I can connect to without any problems) I checked the installed processors and from my point of view both are identical...
But see for yourselves:

Proc 1: 3466 MHz
Execution technology: 2/2 cores; 4 maximum threads
Memory technology: 64-bit capable
Processor 1 Internal L1 Cache: 32 KB
Processor 1 Internal L2 Cache: 4096 KB
Proc 2: 3466 MHz
Execution technology: 2/2 cores; 4 maximum threads
Memory technology: 64-bit capable
Processor 2 Internal L1 Cache: 32 KB
Processor 2 Internal L2 Cache: 4096 KB

Is there any other reason why this message still shows up? I can't even boot up from a CD-Rom.

Thanks for every hint you can share with me!

Rgds,
Oliver
#I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise
3 REPLIES 3
jimenste
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi Oliver

This can occur for some reasons:
1.Bios is too old.
2.when the wrong type of processor is used, for example, the blades will only accept an 85W processor, but there have been some occurrences where a 95W processor was used and caused this error.
3.It can also occur if a 200 series processor is used in a 4-way system instead of an 800 series.
4. Mixing processors stepping is not supported neither.

I would recommend you:
1.remove the system battery for 5 minutes
2.swap processors; processor on socket 1 goes to socket 2 and backwards.
3.put the battery back

Also check that both processors are hp branded with same part and assembly number.
Do not mix single-, dual-, or quad-core processors, or processors with different cache sizes or speeds.
Oliver Wehrli
Valued Contributor

Hi there!

Thanks for your response. I did what you advised me to do. Problem still persists.
I ruled out the bios as possible cause, primary rom is upadated with the latest firmware available. I did the switching and also tried using only one processor.

I'm unsure how to check the other possible reasons for this failure. Could you help me in this matter? Where can I find out about the power consumption of the processor? Is the processor itself labeled with the series?

Thanks and best regards,
Oliver
Oliver Wehrli
Valued Contributor

Update from my site: I just checked with HP Product Bulletin which processors were shipped with this model. It seems that no 3.46GHz Dual Core is in the portfolio, that leads me to the conclusion that the former team must have installed different processors. That'll explain the persisting error.
Seems the server is useless until I can get hold of a supported processor.