108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Updated blade firmware, now device shows "unknown"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

The hardware (CPU, memory, etc.) was all transferred from the failed system board and placed in the same locations on the new board. When I first saw the error, I pulled the blade and re-checked the DIMM locations, and they all appear to be in the correct locations. I didn't try to remove the battery on the new board, though. I guess I thought that on a new board, the system wouldn't have any configuration info.
jimenste
Occasional Advisor

what happens is that HP doesn't sent brand new system boards. that is why some times you get a DOA system board or something else. HP tests the hardware and if it seems ok they will use it for spare replacements. so not all the times but sometimes you might get an used part.
That is why I recommended the clear nvram.
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

I was out yesterday, so today was the first time I was able to work with it. I removed the battery, waited about 10 minutes, then replaced the battery and the blade.

It's still not working right. In the OA, the blade first shows as "unknown", then starts to pick up the various modules. It correctly identifies the blade as a BL465G5, lists the fiber channel and ethernet cards, but still comes back with 4G of RAM (it has 34G), and shows the CPU's as Opteron 2600 (they're 2300). When it attempts to power up, I get the green light on the OA (but NOT on the front of the blade), then after a minute or two the OA shows back to orange.

One other interesting thing; the blade name in the device bay in OA originally shows up as "unknown", then "BL465...", then goes to "OP000844AM". Is this some kind of error code?.

At this point, I'm probably going to call HP again...
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Well, after doing some trial and error Wednesday morning, I figured out that in additon to the original system board problem, one of the CPU's and one of the six DIMMs was bad, too. I called HP and had them send out the parts (asked for a tech this time, in case there was something else..) and everything is working OK now.
predrag81
Valued Contributor

JIMENSTE!!
I must react to your answer bellow:

"Hi Mike
The management processor error is a synchronization error between the OA and the iLo chip set, what happens is that the firmware process didn't finished correctly, your iLo chip set is now corrupted.

How to fixed it:

There are two ways to do it.

1.If you have another enclosure with OA firmware 2.43, 2.51 or 2.52 please go and install it in that enclosure the blade will power up, after that reinstall the iLo firmware but now using the iLo web Administration and the bin file instead.
When the process finished. reinstall the server in the original enclosure.

2.If you don't have other enclosure: go on site, remove both OAs(you will heard all the fans spinning faster and the leds blinking) without the OAs, remove the affected server, wait 2 minutes while all the bays get the same amount of power,on the server remove the system battery. reinstall the battery and then reinstall the server. power the server up. use a dongle cable keyboard and monitor. get into the os, through the iLo web administration upgrade the iLo firmware using the bin file. finish the process, turn the server off, reinsert the OAs, clear browser cache, login in and check the results.

For all the rest of servers using iLo version 1.70 upgrad them through the web administrator to 1.78. After that go ahead and upgrade both OAs to 2.52.

best regards "

As I know, HP recommendations in situation wheh you pull out both OAs is that you don't try insert any modul or Blade server?

Am I right?

and this situation is very close to ILO FW corruption. And when this comes the only safe solution is to replace BD SYS.

If I'm wrong be kind and let me to know.

KR,
Predrag

KR,
Predrag