1752773 Members
4851 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Updating Virtual Connect Modules

jd7000
Frequent Advisor

Updating Virtual Connect Modules

We have 4 ethernet Virtual Connect modules in a c7000 chassis they were running 2.01 and I was upgrading to 2.32.
I have managed to update 3 of them but the active VCM failed.
I now have a mismatch.
The error in vcutil says "Previous firmware update process on the module in bay 2 did not complete
The module should be reset to activate the firmware.
Any ideas?
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Re: Updating Virtual Connect Modules

The answer to this is in the question, "Reset" the modules.

Note:: A software reset is often insufficient. It is usually necessary to physically "Pull" the module and reinsert it.

When you do this, the module will disappear from the OA "Interconnect" display, and will reappear after ~2-3 minutes, at which point it should display the correct FW. Second Note, you may find that the FW is not displayed in the VCM.

IF YOU ARE CYCLING THE "ACTIVE" VC MODULE, THIS MIGHT BE A DISRUPTIVE ACTION, DEPENDING ON YOUR CONFIGURATION.

If you have your servers correctly teamed, then there should be no problem. However if you dont, it can take 25-30 seconds for the vcm to failover to the other module, which can cause problems for servers which are not teamed.

If you are doing multiple modules, I would recommend that you wait a minimum of 5 minutes between each module.

HTH

Dave.
jd7000
Frequent Advisor

Re: Updating Virtual Connect Modules

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yeah I tried that but it didnt work for me. The way I got it working was upload the update bin via the VCM web management then just upgraded from there. 20 minutes later it upgraded fine.