7675 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrade firmware on c7000 causes network interface down

james_sr
Occasional Advisor

Upgrade firmware on c7000 causes network interface down

Hello everyone, 

We tried to upgrade  the OA firmware on a chassis c7000, in order to be on a 2.50 version. But after the upgrade, we were not able to contact the active oa. We were not receiving a reply to the ping and https was not available too. 

I did researches on Internet and I was not successfull . Thus, thinking it was an issue with the release, we switched the standby oa to active and installed the 3.31 version of the firmware . Unfortunately, applying the 3.31 didn't solve it and now, the second interface is unavailable too. No reply from the ping. 

We lost the 2 interfaces and are not able to access to the OA. As we don't still  have the reason, could you explain why by upgrading a firmware we loose the access to the onboard? And how could we do in order to bring up the interfaces ?

DHCP was not enabled. They had a static IP. Even if after an upgrade, the active interface is set to dhcp, we have dhcp server that offer bails to the network on which they are. 

Thanks a lot for your help, 

James. 

5 REPLIES 5
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade firmware on c7000 causes network interface down

Hi.

I've had this or an similar issue when upgrading OA's in a C7000. Don't know why this happens but my impression is that it hangs during firmware upgrade and that maybe a reset of the OA before upgrading could help.

As you don't have access to any OA in the chassi you need to go to the chassi to see what has happened. In my case there was a red light on the OA in question and the only thing is to do a Flash disaster recovery on the OA's as described in this document.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf

if there is no red light

Check the ip settings in the display on the chassi and try to reseat the OA's

Regards

//Cederberg

james_sr
Occasional Advisor

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. As we have to go in the data center and can't do it right now, we will do it next week.  

Once it's done, I'll let you know the result. 

Regards, 

James. 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> We tried to upgrade the OA firmware on a chassis c7000, in order to be on a 2.50 version

What version was running before?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
james_sr
Occasional Advisor

Actually, i madea mistake. It was on 2.50 and we tried to upgrade to 3.31. 

Thanks, 

James. 

Jason_L
Valued Contributor

@Cederberg wrote:

Hi.

I've had this or an similar issue when upgrading OA's in a C7000. Don't know why this happens but my impression is that it hangs during firmware upgrade and that maybe a reset of the OA before upgrading could help.

As you don't have access to any OA in the chassi you need to go to the chassi to see what has happened. In my case there was a red light on the OA in question and the only thing is to do a Flash disaster recovery on the OA's as described in this document.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00705292/c00705292.pdf

if there is no red light

Check the ip settings in the display on the chassi and try to reseat the OA's

Regards

//Cederberg

I would check the IP on the front panel as well.  If the ip is set correctly, also agree that a reset/reseat of the OA's one at a time may help.  If that does not help, you may try reseating the OA tray.  I have seen that work before when the OA's become unresponsive after a FW upgrade.  The OA's may have a mismatch in FW, but you sync the FW between the 2.  

You may want to log a support case with HP to help with the OA tray reseat, if you cannot get the OA's to respond after a reset/reseat as the above poster mentions. Basically you remove both the active and standby OA's, then use the ejector handle to remove the OA tray(the "housing" that the OA's sit in).  You will hear fans activate "high speed mode" with both OA's removed - normal.  Then use the handle to seat the OA tray and then insert the OA's back.  DO NOT try to remove the OA tray without first removing the OA's.  Again, a call to HP support is probably the best move, if you cannot get the OA's to respond after a reset/reseat.

Also I agree that a reset BEFORE the FW update helps as well.  This free's up used oncard OA memory and may help the FW upgrade process.

I work for HPE.