4075 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading BL860c iLO-2 MP firmware

unicks
Advisor

Upgrading BL860c iLO-2 MP firmware

Hi,

I've been asked to upgrade the iLO-2 MP fw on my BL860c servers. I found some instructions on upgrading the system, BMC,iLO2 MP and FPGA firmware, all of which requires restarting the server. Is there a way to just upgrade the iLO-2 MP without a reboot?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Unicks
7 REPLIES 7
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrading BL860c iLO-2 MP firmware

Yes, you can upgrade the ILO through it's web GUI, or through it's command line without rebooting the server. The ILO will reboot, but the server won't be effected. In the GUI, firmware is under the administration tab.

If you want to upgrade all the ILOs in a blade enclosure you can use the following commands after connecting to the OA thru SSH:

HPONCFG ALL << end_marker

end_marker

Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
unicks
Advisor

Ken,

There is a mixture of Intel and HP-UX Blades in the chassis would that command work for all of them?

And I doubt I'll be able to get through the firewall to the ftp site. I'm guessing that's pointing to the latest fw rev. Right?

Thanks

unicks
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Befor eyou just update the iLO/MP firmware on the Integrity blade(s) make sure there are no dependencies on the other firmware bits being at a particular version.

IIRC these things get tested as a whole "recipe" and not _necessarily_ piecemeal, but I could be wrong there. I have the luxury of not having downtime issues and so just upgrade everything at once.

Chances are if the iLO/MP firmware is behind the other bits of SFW are behind too.

Also, make sure that the version of iLO/MP firmware to which you plan on upgrading does not also require a corresponding version of the chassis OA firmware.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Just the MP/iLO update does not require a server reboot, it is because the package that you want to install is more then just the MP/iLO firmware, it contains server systemfirmware components also.

The reason why this f/w update needs a server reboot is because as part of the whole update package you do there is like bios update on a classic x86/x64 server whcih also requires downtime before it is active.

What rev are you on now and what rev are you planing to update to, can you provide the versions pls ?
Pls provide the >CM sysrev command output, just to be sure.

HTH

Kris
unicks
Advisor

Kris,

Here's the sysrev from most of the Blades

MP FW : T.02.17
BMC FW : 05.20
EFI FW : ROM A 06.20, ROM B 06.20
System FW : ROM A 03.01, ROM B 03.01, Boot ROM A
PDH FW : 50.07
UCIO FW : 03.0b
PRS FW : 00.08 UpSeqRev: 02, DownSeqRev: 05
PIC FW : 00.05

this one had a system board replaced;

MP FW : T.03.06
BMC FW : 05.32
EFI FW : ROM A 07.13, ROM B 07.13
System FW : ROM A 04.05, ROM B 04.05, Boot ROM B

Thanks,

unicks
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

last rev for BL860C is:

SYSREV

Current firmware revisions

MP FW : T.03.10
BMC FW : 05.35
EFI FW : ROM A 07.14, ROM B 07.13
System FW : ROM A 04.11, ROM B 04.05, Boot ROM A

It seems that only whole bundled packages are published that include sysfw as well as mp/iLO f/w.
The individual f/w components are not extractable from the image.

There used to be separate packages available for the MP/Ilo but i guess to simplify life this has been bundled such that you don't end up with a mixture of old and new firmware which could potentially have some incompatibilities over time if versions grow to far apart.

Kris
unicks
Advisor

Thanks for the responses and help, sorry for the delay in assigning pts. The mgmnt decided to put off the f/w upgrade for a bit.