108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrading P class Power Management Module Firmware v2.40

SOLVED
Go to solution
rossb2
Frequent Advisor

Upgrading P class Power Management Module Firmware v2.40

I have been advised to upgrade P class enclusure, Power Management Module Firmware from V 2.30 to v2.40. This is to correct an issue, where a blade is reporting: "Power Enclosure Power Supplies Not Redundant (in Power Module, Enclosure Serial Number xxxxxxxxxx)" falsely(other blades okay in the same slot).

I have not upgraded this firmware before. This is a production enclusure with 8 servers on it. What are the risks of upgrading the firmware as above. I am wanting to check we have appropriate rollback procedures, should the firmware update fail. I know that blades keep copies of previous firmwares for rollback purposes, but what about enclosures?

Any feedback appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

there is a redundant ROM on the management module, check :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01198445〈=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=1842750&prodTypeId=15351

Try to flash the ROM again. "If the Management Module does not respond when the upgrade is attempted a second time, hold down the UID button on the back of the failed enclosure module while simultaneously pressing and letting up on the reset button. Ensure that the UID button is still pressed while releasing the reset button. This will force the backup image to boot and the red ALERT light will illuminate on the back of the module"

Regards
rossb2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Blazhev.

Another question that occurred to me.

Is there any interruption to service on the blades during one of these upgrades
LuisDaCR

Hello, updating the firmware of the management module (to 2.40) will cause no Downtime at all.
You can feel safe doing it while the blades are in production.