1753798 Members
7985 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VC Upgrade using VCSU

The Brit
Honored Contributor

VC Upgrade using VCSU

I am trying to upgrade VC Modules on a new c7000 enclosure, using VCSU. The last 3-4 lines of output say (see attachment);

Total estimated time for updates: 23-33 minutes

Would you like to continue with this update? [YES/NO]: yes
Update Progress: 100% complete

The program has been sitting at this point now for almost an hour.

1. how long should I wait before giving up??
2. Given the warning associated with the utility, (see attachment), what is the appropriate way to exit from this utility.

thanks

Dave.
7 REPLIES 7
cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Did it finish?
The vcsu log itself does have slightly more info in it. Be worth looking at this. Might indicate how far it got.

Got a few of these to do soon and although i've had one success, be nice to know how to get out of it if this happens.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

I've done several VC firmware updates where its never actually exited out properly. Either thru the VCSU or the GUI.

I would give it 40 mins for every VC unit from the start and then view that its completed or did not complete whatever its saying. If its saying 100% I would just close it down.

Check the VCM GUI - I bet it says the Firmware is up to date.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

No Adrian,
VCM still shows the FW as unchanged.

however I did find the following int the VCSU log,

005568 (140) xml.cpp[38] 409513-B21
005568 (140) xml.cpp[38] 409513-B22
005568 (140) xml.cpp[38] 572018-B21
005568 (140) xml.cpp[306] Information for module type VC-FC2 is not available in this package
005568 (140) vcsu.cpp[8652] xml_get_module_Info VC-FC2 failed for PackageDesc.xml
005568 (141) vcsu.cpp[10233] Current firmware revision on 1.300000 of Omaha module in bay: 6 do not support generated FTP

Not sure exactly what it means, however HP is sending me a replacement module, (hopefully already at 1.4)

Dave.
Michal N.
Advisor

Hello,

What type of VC modules do yuo have installed in the enclosure and which firmware package are you using, if you are sure you have correct one you can try to run following command from VCSU:

VCUTIL -a update -i -u -p -l -b -f

Normally it takes around 40 -50 minutes to update VC modules.

PS "from which version are you updating to which?"

Regards,
Michal
The Brit
Honored Contributor

I have 2 1/10G VC Ethernet modules in bays 1 & 2, both a version 2.3 (which is where I want them)

I have 2 4G VC FC modules in Bays 5 & 6. Bay 5 is at V1.40 (current), Bay 6 is at V1.11, this is the module I am trying to update.

I have tried every variation of upgrade,

1. different bays,
2. whole enclosure v explicit bay upgrade
3. From my laptop via network
4. From my laptop logged in remote via VPN,
5. From my laptop connected directly to the OA ethernet port using x-over cable.

Even tried using the VCM GUI. All Failed. (and this included several hard boots of the module between attempts.

The only thing I haven't tried is to offload the utility to a network server and run from their. I have a vague recollection of some issue with port contention when the ftp portion of the utility kicks off. Can anyone remember any more about that??

Dave.
Michal N.
Advisor

Hello,

Please try the following:
1. Pull VCFC module out of the enclosure wait for at least 5 minutes, then reinsert it.
2. Failover OA module (active to standby) from OA web interface. Wait for 5 minutes.
3. Upgrade the VCFC firmware using VCSU.

If that does not work try to:
1. VCSU -a resetvcm -i -u -p
2. failover OA
3. Upgrade FW using VCSU

Regards,
Michal
The Brit
Honored Contributor

The problem has been resolved. In our case it was a firewall issue.

Our company runs TREND OfficeScan on all of the desktops and laptops in the company. This was apparently stopping the utility from transferring the file to the module within the allowed timeout.

Solution: Installed VCSU on an App Server which doesnot have the TREND Firewall installed. Upgrade ran successfully first time.

HTH someone else.

Dave.