4991 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VC direct attach

akopylov
Occasional Advisor

VC direct attach

Hello there.

I've got an old c7000 blade chassis with VC (4.50 or so) flexfabric 10/24 modules for a lab purposes.

Well, I've already dealt with c7000 enclosures in the past, but they were equipped with a "classic" switches and OEM brocade FC switches, which were the part of a babrics (not the AG). However, I've also faced VC in a Synergy environment, so I'll handle it in c7000 too. But there is a question about which I'm not sure: can I use FCoE "direct-attach" mode to connect to a non-3PAR storage? Documentation says I must use "fabric-attach" mode with SAN switches (so VC modules will play an AG role, I guess) and can use "direct-attach" mode with 3PAR storage only, but at the moment I have only VNX. So should I even waste my time to try (gotta move to a datacenter) or this will not work for sure?

Apologies for my bad English.

3 REPLIES 3
Jazz_ISS
HPE Pro

Re: VC direct attach

Hello, 

You should consult the Storage Vendor first (VNX) .
Since you are plannnig for a multi-vendor environment you need to raise a case with storage vendor to confirm that they also supports this configuration.
The storage vendor states what is and is not supported , not HPE.

NOTE: "HPE supports the HPE hardware warranty; the third-party vendor supports the storage connectivity including drivers and firmware .

Refer:-
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA5-1536ENW.pdf

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

akopylov
Occasional Advisor

This is not that answer I was hoping to get here.

This particular enclosure is OESed now, it is not supported by the vendor, as along as my VNX storage (the guarantee is over), that's why I got this stuff to build a lab.

I'm not interested about the "supported schemes", cause the environment itself is not supported already. I just was hoping someone will share his experience about my situation. I just don't want to waste a lot of time to get nothing in the end, cause it will take a long way to the DC, not speaking about a work to do.

Jazz_ISS
HPE Pro

Once again I repeat you shoud raise this query with Storage vendor (VNX) first not HPE.

In order to comment on a 3rd party storage related issue including configuration/support issue HPE will need a full and detailed analysis of the storage supplier first together with a statement of support by the storage supplier.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo