1752723 Members
6200 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMWare and The power management controller firmware advisory c01668472

Shmern

VMWare and The power management controller firmware advisory c01668472

Hi,

We have been running ESX3.5 on some G1 BL460c server for quite a while, but recently decided to bring the firmware revisions on the enclosure and blades up to date.

So upgraded all blades to 1.77 iLo (among other firmware upgrades for HBA etc..)
Then upgraded the C7000 OA to 2.51

But now I'm getting the advisory above for all the ESX blades (windows 2008 servers are fine!), even tho they are successfully at 1.77 and therefore should be 3.3 or above for the power management controller (enclosure fireware display not showing power management controller versions)

Any ideas where i should go to

a) find out the firmware revision of the power management controller
b) Upgrade this when the OS is ESX 3.5 ?

Thanks

D.
8 REPLIES 8
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

This is weird. It used to be here a couple of days ago:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=MTX-050e0cad23fd4d3789d7a25843&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

now I can't find it anywhere... I mean, I actually upgraded to 3.4 2 days ago!

As per your second question, if you manage to find it (the firware file name is "CP010551.scexe" ) then you can follow this post to install independently from your OS (look the reply from Michael):

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1344524

cheers
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Anyway, if you have the latest OA firmware, you should find your Power Controller Firmware version for each blade, under "Rack Firmware". There should be a column on the right hand side...
Shmern

Thanks Rob69,

The OA is up to date at 2.51, but there is no righthand column for the Power management controller version on the rack firmware screen?

.... strike that, I reloaded the web based application to ensure I had te latest, and lo and behold there is the version !

I'll try the USB key update.... if i can find the file !

D.

Shmern

OK, I'm having issues finding v3.3 (or v3.4) of the powerpic firmware on HP.com.

Can some kind soul point me in the right direction.

BTW whay doesn't the 8.50 firmware for the BL460c servers upgrade (or even list!) the powerpic firmware ?

D.
c3_1
Advisor

Turn off Dynamic Power Capping!

The problem of degraded only happens when OA sees too much power being used.

If you leave capping enabled and have 3.3 (or 3.4?), you may find systems crashing/hanging or in my case bricking the blade when the cap is reached and OA is forced to reduce power to some resources. If that resource is a blade during firmware upgrade, you get a brick.

c3_1
Advisor
Gareth H Wilson
Frequent Advisor

It shows up under windows OS's but how do you flash the power component if you are not running windows but are running esx 4, also i have tried booting from the firmware cd 8.60 but that doesnt list the option of the power controller firmware :(

good to see this has been thought through lol
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Use the Bladesystem Deployment Firmware CD not the general Proliant Firmware CD.
That will update the power firmware to 3.4