4060 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMotion between BL685G5 and G6?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aaron Delp

VMotion between BL685G5 and G6?

Hello all - How can I determine if you can VMotion in VMWare ESX 3.5 between the BL685 G5 and the new BL685 G6? I would think you couldn't but since they are both based off the AMD 8300 series processor, I wanted to check.

Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: VMotion between BL685G5 and G6?

Generally speaking, the processor architecture has to be the same in order to vmotion virtual machines.

usually, VMware and/or HP put out a compatibilitry matrix which lists the servers, by group, that can vmotion to each other.

Looking for the latest version now...

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

The matrix is not updated yet... or at least this page does not have the latest info...

" http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/vmware/hpvmotion-compatibility-matrix.html "

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Aaron Delp

I say that link and came to the same conclusion. I don't want to tell my customer yes or no without something in writing! Thank you very much for looking! I'm still exploring with my HP contacts on my end. I'll let you know if I find anything and would love to hear if anybody is able to dig something up.

Thank you!
Ron Burke
Advisor

Check this BIOS setting out also; even though it applies to G1 and G5 clusters.

""All ProLiant G5-Series servers with the AMD Opteron processor have the No-Execute Page-Protection feature in the System BIOS set to "Disabled" by default.

All ProLiant first and second generation (G2) servers with AMD Opteron processors have the No-Execute Page-Protection feature in the System BIOS set to "Enabled" by default""

From: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01479995тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=428936&prodTypeId=15351
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor