BladeSystem - General
1751707 Members
5398 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Virtual Connect 1/10G Ethernet now obsolete?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Cullen
Occasional Advisor

Virtual Connect 1/10G Ethernet now obsolete?

It appears that this VC module (399593-B22) is now end of life, but there is no direct replacement. We are about to purchase a blade system, delayed from Jan, which specifies these (I attended blade and VC courses for that reason), and I have now been informed they are withdrawn. My supplier can still provide them, and says there won't be a warranty or support issue, but should I be doing that?
The suggested alternative is the 1/10G-F (447047-B21), but as we are not using fiber (Ethernet and iSCSI only), and this has only 4 ethernet ports, this doesn't look right. And it costs more.
Any suggestions/comments, please?
5 REPLIES 5
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

Re: Virtual Connect 1/10G Ethernet now obsolete?

The Flex-10's are the replacement (455880-B21) and there is a RJ45 type SFP+ module available, allowing regular copper cabling.

Julian.

Bob Cullen
Occasional Advisor

Hi Julian -
But the Flex-10s are even more expensive, and I believe there are also issues with trying to boot from iSCSI SAN with these, as the presentation is different (can't remember the exact details, but it was on the forum a while back I read it).
I can understand that Flex-10 is good for some people, but we're after basic 1Gb functionality at a sensible price.
Bob
Julian Stenning
Frequent Advisor

Yes, they are expensive bits of equipment (around ├В┬г8,000 last time I looked?).

I'm only familiar with the older 1/10G and Flex-10 modules (and not with iSCSI Booting either, but would think that this comes down to the blade NIC rather than module), so hopefully someone else can add to this thread.

Julian.
Daniel Bowers
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The 1/10Gb-F Virtual Connect Ethernet Module effectively replaces the 1/10G. Prices should be close between those two; they're within a few dollars of each other on CDW right now.

On the 1/10Gb-F, the XFP and SFP ports are still ethernet, just using fibre media instead of copper.

You can actually put RJ45 SFP's into the two SFP ports and still use normal ethernet cables, to get 6 RJ45 ports.
Bob Cullen
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Daniel. I'll go back to my supplier now and see what they can do on price.

Bob