1748182 Members
3493 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual Connect FC Modules - Blades NOT-LOGGED-IN

Lee M
Occasional Advisor

Virtual Connect FC Modules - Blades NOT-LOGGED-IN

I have 4 enclosures all with identical configurations and f/w levels. Connected to same Cisco Fabric switches. 3 are working fine the other has the VC FC uplinks logged in but all of the Blades show as NOT-LOGGED-IN ? I have logged a call with HP but thought someone may have had a similar problem.
25 REPLIES 25
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Trivials first ...
You have FC HBA in blades ?
Is it in correct mezz slot ?

Go to FC HBA BIOS and scan for targets, see if there is any difference.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Lee M
Occasional Advisor

Yep,

see attachment, this enclosure is configured exactly the same as the other 3, all have HBA Mezz in correct port.

I have hit ctrl-q and scanned fibre still not-logged-in?
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Lee,
Although you dont specify, I have to assume that your enclosure is a c7000.

And this might seem like a repeat request, can you confirm that you blade HBA's are on Mezz1! (you didnt actually confirm that)

Also can you confirm that you have NPIV enabled on the SAN Switch Ports.

Dave.
Lee M
Occasional Advisor

Yes, they are in correct Mezz port 1 (the other 3 enclosures are all working ok) it is a c7000, NPIV is enabled on the switches and the other 3 enclosures are connected to the same switches.

I have power cycled fc modules, created a new server profile, changed from dynamic to static port mappping, changed from auto to set speed all with no joy? I don't think this is a simple mis-config as all 4 enclosures are config'd exactly the same with same f/w etc.

I have asked for NPIV to be disabled / re-enabled but as the other 3 enclosures are working ok, they are unwilling to do this at the moment.

I'm at a loss as to what step to take next? Don't really want to delete VC domain and start again as all zoning etc. would need re-doing plus we have people working on blades in the enclosure now too?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Will "they" disable / enable the ports those VCM's are plugged into?

I find it funny since... every time "they" say it is working properly on "their" end... it usually isn't. (at least that's been my experience).

Are all the port settings the same on the SAN Switch side? Can you get a print out to confirm?

Stveen

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Lee M
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
got the ports disabled / enabled and checked with them and all settings appear to be the same as on the working ports?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, are these servers booted?
I know that when you are using boot from SAN the servers are not "logged in" until the server has actually booted from SAN.
Lee M
Occasional Advisor

Some of the servers are built and booted into O/S, i have been testing with one in Qlogic BIOS and rescanning fibre. no joy!
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Lee,

just a wild guess since the rest seems to be all OK.... the WWN's used by the server blades in this enclosure don't happen to exist already on the SAN (i.e. when using VC assigned WWN ranges).

just a thought

Kris