1753792 Members
7512 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual Connect Manager hangs - Loading, please wait

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

Virtual Connect Manager hangs - Loading, please wait

I've had this issue for a few weeks on one of my c7000 enclosures but have not been able to schedule an outage to troubleshoot. Today, I have a 2nd c7000 doing the same thing. When I try to launch VC manager, it brings up the interface but gets hung saying 'Loading, please wait...' and will not allow me to log in. OA is at 2.25 and VC is 1.31. I did try reseting the OA but that did not help. My next step is to logically, and then physically reset VC (when I can get an outage time) but just wondered if anyone had seen this issue.
5 REPLIES 5
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

We have most often seen this when a user enters one of the IP addresses already in use by a VC module into the ├в Static IP├в option within VC. This box is not meant to be a duplicate of an already-used address ├в it is intended to be an unused ├в virtual├в static IP address that the VCM will assign to whichever
module is currently hosting the VCM.

If that's not the issue, try connecting over SSH to the VC manager. If you're able to logon, you can enter the command "reset vcm" to restart the manager without interrupting Ethernet or Fibre Channel traffic.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

We have had these issues after FW updates. VC manager can not decide which module is active one / there has been some VC config issue on the primary VC manager module due FW update.

Does both (active/standby) VC manager give same results ?
Resetting the problematic one usually helped.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

Ken - I have no duplicate ip addresses. I was able to log in via SSH but no commands will execute - it just hangs.

Jarkko - yes, this issue occurs with both the VC modules.

Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Kerry,

You really want to get the Virtual Connect firmware to 2.01. There have been a number of fixes since 1.31 (1.32 & 2.00), and a lot of issues with VC are resolved by current firmware
Before updating VC need to update OA fw to 2.31 or 2.32. And before updating OA need to be sure the iLO2 fw is at least 1.61 - preferably 1.70.

Update steps:
1. Update iLo fw on all blades to 1.61 or 1.70
2. Update System BIOS so its no later than Aug 2008
3. Update OA from 2.25 to 2.31/2.32
4. Finally, update VC from 1.31 to 2.01

For blade System BIOS, iLO & OA you can now use the BladeSystem FDT (Firmware Deployment Tool) to have it do all your blades in a given enclosure:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=1842750&swItem=MTX-a95ca55b3cc44183bfaff7a8fe&prodNameId=3288156&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Terri is right, FW updates to VC manager have been pain in the arse before 2.01 hopefully future updates go smoothly =)

btw, what will happen with older ROM versions and lates OA Fw??

Note: Onboard Administrator v2.31 and v2.32 MUST have the latest ROM and iLO versions installed, due to the new ├в Dynamic Power Capping functionality introduced in OA v2.31 and OA v2.32. Please upgrade the ROM and iLO versions first before upgrading to OA v2.32 as indicated below.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi