5844 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Virtual Connect VLAN Tagging - Help me

Gianluca Nanoia
Advisor

Virtual Connect VLAN Tagging - Help me

Hi all
I have 1 hyperV Blade server connected to a procurve switch through a Virtual connect.
I configured the switch to tag VLAN 100 (LAN) and VLAN 200 (DMZ) on a specific port.
that port goes into the VC in port 5.
I created a ethernet network with that port and enabled vlan tunneling,
then I configured vSwitch to work on VLAN 100 and a VM on VLAN 200
I can't ping the host and the VM
can someone help me?
if I use untagged traffic on the switch and disable vlan tunneling all is working ok
thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Re: Virtual Connect VLAN Tagging - Help me

Hi Gianluca,

You should not implement VLAN tagging on both your Hyper-V host and your Virtual Connect modules. I think in your case you want to tell the VC to ignore VLAN tags, and have your host server handle the tagging and untagging.

good luck
Gianluca Nanoia
Advisor

How can the server ignore VC ignore vlan tagging? if I disable tunneling packets didn't go from the switch to the server and back.

however I found really very much problems to di it and I solved with a workaround.. here there are some tests I did...

Lan tag is 100, dmz tag is 200

- enabled vlan tagging 100 and 200 on the switch
- enabled vlan tunneling on the VC
- Assigned vlan tag 100 to parent partition
Result: I can't ping the server... then

- Assigned vlan tag 100 to physical team through hp network manager
Result: I can ping the server

- Removed vlan tag 100 from hp network manager
Result: I can ping the server :S:S:S

- REAssigned vlan tag 100 to physical team through hp network manager
Result: I can ping the server but cant ping VM with id 200

- Assigned vlan tag 200 to physical nic and assign an ip on vlan 200
Result: I can ping the server
(So packets with id 100 and 200 go to the server)

It seems that HP Network manager let pass only packets in its configuration (EVEN AFTER DELETING VLAN TAG). It should be trasparent and let me use hyperV console to divide parent partition and VM vlans, but it doesn't work :( I use HP netwprk utility V9.70.0.16 on W2008 R2 DATACENTER

Then I configured both VLANS on network utility so it created two virtual NIC (one for vlan) and I use a different vswitch for each nic.

Sorry if u are getting crazy reading this post but I really used all my forces to understand what was happening :)

thank you for the attention

dchmax
Frequent Advisor

We have a couple uplink bonded together for a trunk, shared uplink set. A ethernet network is created for each VLAN that is being passed through the trunk. In the server profile, ethernet connection, I assign Multiple Network to a virtual switch. A popup will open and I'll add the Ethernet Networks that I want to use. I keep the vlan number the same, do not change it. This setup has been working for us for a while.
dchmax
Frequent Advisor

I should add, we are using VMware ESX 3.5 U5. But this setup should work for all virtualization platforms.
Gianluca Nanoia
Advisor

I tried this configuration, too, but with same prolems. The issue seems to be the server and not the VC, because vlan tags arrive correctly to the server.
I think there is something wrong with driver or hp network manager