108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Virtual Connect and Nic Teaming HPUX 11.31 VSE OE

SOLVED
Go to solution
dennis_122
Occasional Contributor

Virtual Connect and Nic Teaming HPUX 11.31 VSE OE

Using Flex-10 VC... What is the recommended teaming or failover approach at the host side. i.e. BL860c i2? Active/Active or Active/Standby?
6 REPLIES 6
The Brit
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Virtual Connect and Nic Teaming HPUX 11.31 VSE OE

Hi Dennis,
Im not a 'nix guy, but the NIC teaming setup is fairly standard, and only varies by OS.

The thing that needs to be fully understood is that your blade (if I recall correctly) has 4x10Gb Onboard NIC Ports, (LOM's). Each of these can be split into 4 virtual NICs, giving a total of 16 virtual NICs. From a physical perspective you need to understand that 'physical' ports 1 and 3 and HARDWIRED to Interconnect Bay 1, and physical ports 2 and 4 are HARDWIRED to Interconnect bay 2.

So

Physical Port 1 (virtual NICs 1a - 1d) map to IC Bay 1
Physical Port 2 (virtual NICs 2a - 2d) map to IC Bay 2
Physical Port 3 (virtual NICs 3a - 3d) map to IC Bay 1
Physical Port 4 (virtual NICs 4a - 4d) map to IC Bay 2

So for teaming always map a vNIC from an odd-numbered port to a vNIC on an even-numbered port. i.e.

Do not team odd - odd, or even - even.

Active/Active or Active/StandBy are OS options in some cases. (Active/Active is not available on my OS so it is a decision I dont have to make)

HTH

Dave.
dennis_122
Occasional Contributor

Ok Great thanks for that information. I will use it in my deployment consideration. Can you help me with the OS side of it? Specifically in regards at the HOST OS layer. In HPUX 11.31 VSE OE... What is the recommended Teaming at this level?
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Sorry Man, (I'm an OpenVMS Guy.)

There is an HPUX forum somewhere around here where I'm sure you can get the help you need.

Dave.
dennis_122
Occasional Contributor

Do you know where that forum maybe.....? Anyone?
The Brit
Honored Contributor

cjb_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi

When you create your vc network you just need to be aware of the mappings described above.

Create a vc network with two 'resilient' ports. We use active-standby. Check the smart link button.

Publish this network to 2 ports at the host server end and apa these.

Create a vnet using the apa'd lan which you may assign to your guests.

Be aware (on v 4.1) we had issues with hpvm when losing resilience in these nets (during frimware updates). Losing both networks required us to restart the hpvm daemon (which meant the guests had to be stopped first). I haven't tested this on v4.3 but will do when i do the upgrade work later this year.