6027 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Virtual Connect for a c7000 chassis

SOLVED
Go to solution
shamus

Virtual Connect for a c7000 chassis

Have a c7000 chassis with a number of blades in and two Virtual Connect 10GB modules/cards to provide networking.

When connecting a blade server to a iSCSI san via two networks. I created two virtual networks, each with an uplink that goes to a separate switch and network. Does having two Virtual Connect modules mean I have to connect 4 network leads, two from one VC module and two from the second module. Really asking how does the failover work between Virtual connect modules.
3 REPLIES 3
juan quesada
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Virtual Connect for a c7000 chassis

port x7 (crossover) is used as an internal connection for horizontal VC's in a c7000 enclosure. this creates redundant paths for servers in case of a VC failure however if only one port is connected to the VC and this fails...there will be nothing communicating to this uplink losing all communications to it.

for best redundancy you should use (as an example) port x2 from VC1 and VC2 to the data-LAN
and port x3 from VC1 and VC2 to the iSCSI-LAN, be aware that you can LACP team (which is recommended) the uplinks ports even is they belong to diff VC's.

JQ

shamus

Ok thanks so LACP equals trunking of the two uplinks so it can be seen as one network pipe, believe this has to be done as the switch end. Thanks for the quick and informative reply.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

yes but LACP is not the same as CISCO trunking (same concept but diff protocols).
VC is configure for dymamic LACP so if ...in your case... both uplink ports are connected to an static/dynamic LACP configured switch it will auto set up the team/trunk.
to confirm that the trunk was created check at the networks tab, both ports should be seen as active (i had to reset the VC after i setted lacp on my Cisco... no idea why VC will not try to change the status in hot)

regards,