1751843 Members
5899 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Virtual Connect modules can't talk to OA

Greg Himes

Virtual Connect modules can't talk to OA

Hello All,

I've got 2 Virtual Connect 1/10Gb Ethernet modules which can't talk to the OA. As a result, all of my enclosure info has a status of "Unknown". This leaves me with one blade which won't power-on, and I'm afraid to power-off any of the others for fear they won't power-on, either.

I tried using the Domain Setup Wizard, but it shows my "Unknown" enclosure as IMPORTED, and won't let me import/recover.

The Ethernet connections are flakey, but still provide some connectivity for the blades which are up. However, ping times for various blades vary from < 10ms to 400+ms, at random.

Any thoughts of how to restore the connection between the VC modules and the OA without powering down the enclosure or both VC modules?

Cheers,

GH

5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Virtual Connect modules can't talk to OA

If you added VC after the fact to a running enclosure, most likely you need to upgrade the OA firmware. That will also cause a need to update the iLO firmware in all the blades.
Greg Himes

Firmware version for the OA is 2.01, the VC modules are 1.15, I think (the VC manager screen doesn't show the hardware info).

Thanks for asking,

GH

James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Heyya !

VC firmware 1.16 available at
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/serveroptions/us/download/27360.html

Cheers !
James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

A server might be displayed as "Incompatible/Unknown" by Virtual Connect even if the ROM is up to date.
This action occurs when the Onboard Administrator improperly detects and displays the ROM date
as the year 200 rather than 2006 or 2007.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

During an Onboard Administrator failover, Virtual Connect Manager can lose communication with the Onboard Administrator for as long as 15 minutes. During this time, Virtual Connect Manager is not able to make profile changes to server blades or perform some enclosure administration functions, such as powering servers on and off. >> Thats the reason U cant power on one of the blades.