BladeSystem - General
1752694 Members
5312 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Which slot to insert the 4Gb FC HBA mezzanine for BL460c?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cray
Frequent Advisor

Which slot to insert the 4Gb FC HBA mezzanine for BL460c?

Which slot should I insert the 4Gb FC HBA mezzanine in a BL460c for c3000? And, what will be different from slot 1 and slot 2?

According to c3000's port mapping, slot 1 connects only to bay 2. So, slot 2 will be better choice if I want to have a redundant SAN connectivity arch, right?

I have checked quickspec, SAN design guide, reference arch... etc and can't find a clear answer. THX in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

You are correct, mezz slot2

Here is a neat pdf for info
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01167169/c01167169.pdf
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Cray
Frequent Advisor

Jarkko K,

Thanks.

In fact, I had read the pdf, too. But, there is no any exact keyword 'HBA', 'FC', 'Fiber' in the document?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

yes ...because it does not matter if it's a FC or normal NIC. Only if You have quad port nics or infiniband HBA's there is a difference to use 4x or 8x slots.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Cray,

even with the dual port FC MEZZ card in mezz slot 1 , you still have a redundant path from your server to your SAN via the interconnect in BAY 2 however all goes over the same interconnect, so if this interconnect fails then you loose the SAN access.

The advantage of putting the FC mezz card in mezz slot 2 is that you can have redundant access over a redundant interconnect if you invest into a second fibre interconnect module. If you don't then you only have one FC link to your SAN, keep that in mind.

So with the FC mezz in slot 1 , you have 2 links to the SAN over just one FC interconnect module, with the FC mezz in slot 2 you only have 2 links to the SAN if you buy a second FC interconnect.
You could always start with one FC interconnect and use dual path and if later it is needed/required to have more redundancy, move it to slot 2 and add a second FC interconnect. It might be a question of available budget also.

Kris