BladeSystem - General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2003 Server 32 bit R2 Enterprise Installation fails

Windows 2003 Server 32 bit R2 Enterprise Installation fails

Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 2003 Server R2 Enterprise in a BL465c. I start Windows installation booting from a ISO loaded by Virtual Media. Installation stops telling me that "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer".

The server has presented one 50 GB LUN from a EVA4000 through only 1 port of the FC mezzanine Qlogic QMH 2462.

I've checked the BIOS and I can see the LUN correctly.

Any idea?

Thanks
6 REPLIES
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Windows 2003 Server 32 bit R2 Enterprise Installation fails

Hello, use SmartStart cd to install the OS together with OS dvd...

Jan

I boot from Smart Start 8.5 ISO (through Virtual Media) but I the GUI tells me that there isn't any disk to install the OS...

Thanks
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello, so you do not have any internal drive and you want to boot from san?
I yes you must enable boot bios on your san qlogic card and probably will need to add driver during windows istall...

Jan
dchmax
Frequent Advisor

Jan is right that you will need to add a driver during the OS load, F6 maybe? Anyway, I've had much more luck with out the smartstart cd, then load the support pack once online. With 2003 non R2 I had to slip stream SP2 into the install cd. The other thing was to present only 1 patch to 1 disk, once MPIO software was installed then presented all paths. I've also been using Windows Deployment Workbench, Window Deployment Services, and PXE to get around the driver injection and to allow for media free installs.

I was using Smart Smart x86 instead of Smart Smart x64, that was why the Fibre Channel HBA didn't detect any LUN, probably because the corresponding driver wasn't loaded correctly.

Thanks for your collaboration

Read previous answer.