1752809 Members
5925 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V dedicated NIC useage for Guest VMs

Landrew09
Advisor

Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V dedicated NIC useage for Guest VMs

I have a Hyper-V newbie question, pardon my inexperience. I have a BL460C running Windows 2008 R2 (X64) with the Hyper-V role, etc. All is running well, three W2K3 guests running smoothly, but without network connectivity. I'm using the primary NIC strictly for the Host OS, the secondary NIC (Gb) is not configured and is reserved for a few guest operating systems. My questions:
1. Does this dedicated NIC need any configuration (tcp/ip, bindings, etc)or can I simply create an external V-switch and handle the configuration on each guest OS? Does this dedicated NIC need any configuration on the Host server at all? The documentation seems thin and/or outdated in this area. I simply want private/external network access for the guest OS's. I intend to bind a few of the guest OS's to a 10.x.x.x IP addresses on our Cisco VLAN network segment and ultimately control traffic to these guest via an external Cisco load balancer.
Where do I start and what are the best practices? Does anyone have some steps and/or screen shots documenting these important tasks?
Thanks
Andrew
1 REPLY 1
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Re: Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V dedicated NIC useage for Guest VMs

>>Does this dedicated NIC need any configuration on the Host server at all?

No, you don't define any IP or binding, except virtual switch protocol

Good explanation:
http://blogs.technet.com/jhoward/archive/2008/06/16/how-does-basic-networking-work-in-hyper-v.aspx

>>three W2K3 guests running smoothly, but without network connectivity.

If you define right IP/routing on guest NIC and dedicated NIC in Hyper-V have physical network connection to right network - it will work